From marriage bonds to officialsí bonds, sureties given in a wide variety of circumstances can offer clues to our family members and their friends, associates and neighbors. Learn what they are, how to find them, and how to use them in building your family's FAN club.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on February 19, 2014. 1 hour 29 minutes. Plus 6 pages of handouts.
- A great way to spend an 1 1/2, learning from one of the best! Thank you.
- A great webinar about a little-known resource!
- A new door has been opened in family research. Thank You!
- A real eye opener. Now to check for Bonds.
- Absolutely one of the very best (if not THE very best) webinars to date!
- As always, Judy is awesome in what she says and gives so much detail. ;o)
- Certainly caused me to expand my records thinking. Thank you.
- Excellant -- topic I've never heard about before and does open up another window for research.
- Excellent material, organization and energy. Thoroughly enjoyed!
- Excellent!! Didn't know there were that many different kinds of bonds. Thank you for opening new research resources to seek out. :)
- Excellent!!! The time flew by while learning so much new stuff & so many new sources!!! Thank you Judy & Legacy Family Tree.
- Excellent. I knew about Marriage Bonds but nothing about the others. Very interesting how you can mine so much information from these documents.
- FANTASTIC ! ! ! ! ! Never in my life did I think about bonds to research. How interesting. Maybe this will help me with some pending questions I have had for a very long time. Judy gave so many ideas for types of documents. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!
- Fantastic webinar! Really opened my eyes to this type of record. Judy is such a great speaker! I really enjoy any of her talks.
- Hour went by so fast! Especially impressive for what could be a "dry" subject... Great speaker!
- I didn't know these records existed. Thanks for sharing!
- I had no idea that there were so many different types of bonds, I can't wait to dig into bond records.
- I have used bonds, but learned so much more today. Excellent presentation.
- I think this is the 3rd or fourth of Judy's seminars I've participated in and I am always so impressed by the clarity and precision of her presentation and also the completeness of coverage on the topic. Really outstanding.
- Judy Russell was so informative and so engaging in her presentation. Not boring at all, even though we always thing legal = boring. I learned a LOT of interesting information and found out some of what I thought I knew, wasn't quite right! Wonderful 90 minutes. This is one very appreciative genealogist!
- Judy always surpasses our expectations - no mean fete since our expectations are so high. I always learn so much from her and have to review the webinars to catch all that she packs into them. She doesn't waste our time but gives us information that we can use and that we are not likely to come across on our own. Her upbeat enthusiasm makes the time fly.
- Judy did open my eyes to an entire new source of records. Amazing information presented. Thank you for hosting.
- Judy is a very informative and dynamic speaker. I could listen to her for hours. Thanks to you both!
- Judy is knowledgeable and is able to convey her knowledge in a concise and clear manner so that all laymen can understand her. I am a certified genealogist specializing in North Carolina research and I learned a few things too. Thank you.
- Judy Russell is a wonderful speaker and, although I was familiar with marriage bonds, I learned so much more! Thank you Legacy, and thank you, Judy!
- Judy Russell is one of the best, if not the best presenter. I loved her keynote address at RootsTech and loved this presentation on the Ties That Bond. She is thorough, knowledgeable, interesting and entertaining to listen to, as well.
- Judy Russell, the Legal Genealogist, really knows so much, and she can put it in plain English for those of us not familiar with "legalese." Very good session!
- Judy was EXCELLENT as always. I learned a tremendous amount of information today and now have some new avenues of research that might help me break down some brick walls. YEAH!!!!
- NOW - Wow! I am looking forward to in depth research! Thank you Judy, and Geoff!
- One of the best webinars you have offered. Judy Russell is a master of her legal craft. I never knew there was so much to learn about bonds. Thank you.
- She is by FAR the VERY BEST speaker at Legacy or anywhere else.
- She's your #1 speaker - packs more into one webinar than anyone else.... there are a few close #2s ... but for me as an experienced family historian, her info always goes deeper than the rest.
- So full of great info. Judy has a presentation style that keeps the participant's attention throughout the lecture. The content included specific records and the variety of information which may be found there. I never really understood bonds/banns/licenses before now. Wonderful. Just all around wonderful. Thanks to Judy for her time & knowledge. :)
- So much information! Never thought to check for bonds ever! Thanks so much!
- Super webinar! Judy is an absolute delight! I wish that she had been one of my college professors!!!!!!!!!!!!
- This DID open my eyes. I never thought to look for bonds. It may help me in some cases in VA. For the most part I have dealt with Quaker records but if there were no Quaker records, I was lost. Thanks.
- This is the greatest is terms of busting down brick walls and filling out familiy stories!!! Thank you so much.
- Very informative! Judy is such a blessing to the genealogy community! Thank you for making this webinar possible.
- W O W !!!! So much info. This is a totally new area to look. Thanks
- What a incredible webinar. I hate looking at all the legal stuff because I think it's boring but not any more so many stories appear as you start looking.
- Wow! What great information...things I never knew! Thank you.
- Wow! Learned lots from this webinar. As always, Judy is a top-notch presenter. Great handout too!
- Wow, I can't say I have ever understood how bonds can be useful in family history work. Now I know! Thank you for a terrific webinar!
- Wow, Judy. I knew you were a great go-to on everything legal - but this webinar went above and beyond. Thank you for opening up this whole new realm for me.
About the author:
A Certified Genealogist with a law degree, Judy G. Russell is a lecturer, educator and writer who enjoys helping others understand a wide variety of genealogical issues, including the interplay between genealogy and the law. She has a bachelorís degree in political science and journalism from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and a law degree from Rutgers School of Law-Newark. She has worked as a newspaper reporter, trade association writer, legal investigator, defense attorney, federal prosecutor, law editor and, for more than 20 years, Judy has been an adjunct member of the faculty at Rutgers Law School. Judy is a Colorado native with roots deep in the American south on her motherís side and entirely in Germany on her fatherís side.