Mind mapping is a process of creating a diagram or flow chart of ideas and concepts. Learn about automated mindmapping tools that let you see your research data in a new light. Do you have trouble planning a genealogy research strategy? What if you had an automated way to lay out concepts, variables and actions? Mind mapping can help you create an effective research plan as well as help you connect data points once the research is completed.
This was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on November 20, 2013. 1 hour 30 minutes, plus 4 pages of supplemental syllabus materials.
About the author:
- A brand new awesome concept to me.
- A fabulous tool for research...excited to try it soon!
- A great new solution to the "where do I start" novice such as me.
- Absolutely love, love this concept and tool. Never fails I always learn something new when Thomas is sharing on a topic. Thank you!!
- Always amazed at the new ideas coming from Thomas MacEntee.
- As a teacher I used mind maps frequently and never thought to use it for genealogy! Thanks. Always good ideas on the webinars.
- As a visual tactile person this will hopefully give me a better grasp of a problem.
- As always, your webinar speakers are opening my mind to bigger and better ways of finding my elusive ancestors. Thank you!
- As usual, Thomas MacEntee, has more than exceeded my expectations with Mind Mapping...a completely great idea. I usually use paper, then lose it...now I will be able to find my ideas!
- Did not know of this topic...looks like a great thing to do for my brick walls. Can hardly wait to start with popplet!!
- Excellent webinar. I need the organizational help, plus it will give me experience with mind mapping for work other than genealogy.
- Excellent Webinar. I think this will help me stay on point with several genealogical paths. I am looking forward to using it. Thanks Tom and Geoff
- Excellent! A great way to solve brickwalls, love it! Thanks.
- Fantastic presentation from Thomas. I'm very visual and this was a perfect solution for me. Can't wait to get started using Popplet! This mind mapping would make such a great tool in the Legacy software arsenal too!!
- Fantastic! I used mind mapping to write my lit review for my dissertation. It worked great. Don't know why I didn't think about using it before. I can't wait to get started.
- Fascinating. I worry about being "messy". Still I'm exciting to try with various projects such as 1) mapping individuals in an old Irish neighbor and 2) sorting out individuals with the same surname. It'll be fun trying... Thanks for hosting! Very thought provoking.
- Good way to organize the thoughts that all come rushing in at once when I encounter a new problem!
- GREAT! I am share this technique with my social media genie groups & my local genealogical society. Thanks so much.
- I can see how the whole idea of Mind Mapping can be used in my life, besides for my main focus of genealogy. Thanks once again for a great webinar.
- I did not know what to expect when I signed up for this webinar. The concept is fascinating. As a DAR Registrar I ca readily see all sorts of applications for for mind mapping.
- I have done a bit of mind-mapping in the past, but feared the concept. Thomas helped me to understand the usefulness of mind-mapping and I will be using it in my daily research.
- I have never heard of Mind Mapping before. This was an eye opener for me. I have stacks of notes I have made for my research. I think this is an answer to my prayers. Thanks Thomas for the info.
- I used mind mapping to outline material for students but this is much more useful. I am a recent member and agree the webinars are worth the yearly fee. I have really "pigged out" on them, sometimes listening to 2 per week. Thomas is amazing. I love the fact that I can see the speaker and Geoff. It makes me feel like I am in the room with Geoff and the speaker. I can do this and don't have to travel or get caught in traffic. All in the comfort of my living room and amazing speakers.
- It is so helpful to have people like Thomas give a webinar, because we are learning how an experienced genealogist thinks, organizes his research, saves files, shares information, uses technology and websites, etc. This actually can shorten our individual learning curves so we can get to the heart of the process; our own family research and building trees.
- I've attended many very good, informative and enjoyable webinars, but I must say this one was the best so far. So much information on something I'd never thought about before. This was TERRIFIC!!!
- Practical, concise, good info. I have been wondering how to organize my research strategy and this came at a good time. I like the presenter a lot.
- Such an excellent speaker and presentation, as always! Thank to both of you for helping keep genealogists up on the latest trend
- This is a genealogist's dream program! Very Well done!
- This was wonderful. I have used mind mapping before with groups in developing new products, etc. but hadn't thought about using it with genealogy. Thanks so much for having this. Thomas always makes me think creatively about the genealogy process!!! Glad I am an annual Webinar member.
- This webinar was great. Legacy's webinars are the BEST webinars I have ever attended.
- Thomas, this is the best productivity tool that I have received from LFT webinars. THANK YOU!!!
- Very clear and fascinating. Now I have a way to tackle a speed-bump visually, and that's how I work best!
- Wonderful!! I had seen mindmapping before but didn't know where to start. Thank You for showing us step by step. Looking forward to trying it out today! :o)
- WOW this was fantastic --- I always look forward to presentations by Thomas but this one blew my MIND -- no pun intended but it is so true.
Thomas MacEntee is a professional genealogist specializing in the use of technology and social media to improve genealogical research and as a means of interacting with others in the family history community. Utilizing over 25 years of experience in the information technology field, Thomas writes and lectures on the many ways in which blogs, Facebook and Twitter can be leveraged to add new dimensions to the genealogy experience. As the creator of GeneaBloggers.com he has organized and engaged a community of over 2,000 bloggers to document their own journeys in the search for ancestors.
to view all of Thomas MacEntee's webinar CDs.