A one-name study is a project researching all occurrences of a surname, as opposed to a particular pedigree (ancestors of one person) or descendancy (descendants of one person or couple). Some 'one-namers' restrict their research geographically, perhaps to one country, but true one-namers collect all occurrences worldwide. A charitable organisation, the Guild of One-Name Studies (GOONS) is dedicated to promoting the public understanding of one-name studies and the preservation and accessibility of the resultant information. Kirsty will guide you through the 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' - the Art of a One-Name Study.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on January 8, 2014. 1 hour 27 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
About the author:
- A totally new look at a family name. This study would probably open a new avenue of finding where your family originated from, especially if you are facing a roadblock of where to search.
- Absolutely terrific. As a one-namer myself it was great to hear Kirsty speak. Thank you for including her in your series.
- Charming, organized with lots of educational components.
- Didn't think there would be much info applicable to my research, but Kirsty and LegacyWebinars have opened my eyes to another avenue of research. Kirsty is an excellent speaker with a well-organized and well-thought-out presentation- thank you!
- Enjoyed learning about the guild and society and some of the other resources for ONS.
- Excellent - this was my first webinar but it won't be my last! Well done to Kirsty and Geoff.
- Excellent speaker! I really enjoyed listening to her and I may actually start a one-name study!
- Excellent topic! Exceptional Speaker! Kirsty's presentation of this topic kept my interest from beginning to end.
- Excellent! She has a wonderful conversational style of presenting.
- Fascinating subject, well-presented! Will definitely consider this for one of my surnames.
- From time to time Legacy Family Tree Webinars introduces me to a whole new area of genealogical research; this happened today, and it pleases me a lot. This was most interesting. Thank you.
- I already have a name registered with the Guild. Kirsty is a wonderful speaker and her delivery was so friendly and professional at the same time. Thank you for having her on as a presenter. I am looking forward to her next webinar in February.
- I appreciated that Kirsty's syllabus was complete, so I could concentrate on her presentation AND have valuable notes for later.
- I didn't know a lot about the topic and attended to learn more. The presenter has gotten me very excited about the possibilities! A Great Webinar and I'd be very interested in attending more where Ms. Gray is the presenter.
- I had no idea of what a GOON was but I am going to become one since I've been searching for my Great grandfather for over 30 years. Thank You for a great Webinar.
- I have always wondered about surnames that were not common and here was my answer. I enjoyed this webinar very much, I guess I'll have to look up my surname along with my husbands.
- I thought she was being whimsical and cute with the GOON thing, until I looked it up on Wikipedia just as the webinar began. This was lovely.
- Incredibly interesting!
- It was very informative! i had previously heard of a One-Name Study, but this webinar showed different aspects that i may even consider doing one! Thanks
- Loved the British content and Kirsty's crisp presentation style.
- Loved the chance to learn about something I knew little about. Thanks!
- Loved the introduction to this new obsession. I have many colonial ancestors that I will run the names through the Guild to see if I can find more info. I may even get brave enough to start a study on my own. Thanks and can't wait to see the next Guild webinar.
- Never thought I would ever do a one name study; but after this webinar, maybe I will consider it...thanks for the info.
- One of the very, very best webinars!!
- Perhaps because I knew so little about the topic, it was one of the most interesting.
- Really enjoyed this new topic to me. Very much enjoyed Kristy's affable and down to earth presentation style.
- Very good information. The topic was new to me and the instructions were clear. Kirsty presented herself well and made the time go too quickly. We need lots of Webinars like this, it keeps us interested and coming back for more.
- Well presented. Content is well organized and clear. This is a creative way to contribute research in genealogy and be able to immediately help other researchers.
- Wow - what a pleasant surprise! I didn't expect much from this topic, but this turned out to be one of the most interesting learning experiences that I've encountered in a long time. A very different and interesting perspective and very professionally and pleasantly presented. Thanks you!
- Wow! I'm thrilled with all this helpful information. I'll be definitely joining the GOON, and checking over the Place Names studies group as well, for all my UK ancestors. Fantastic, and so helpful. A very good delivery, knowledgeable, great examples, professional, humorous, and on time!
Kirsty is a professional genealogist and Heir Hunter who runs her own research company Family Wise Limited (www.family-wise.co.uk). As a freelance author, she has published articles in family, local and social history magazines and handbooks across the globe. She has been researching the story of her paternal West Country family for many years and, having realised in the late 1990s that her eccentric hobby was called a one-name study, joined the Guild of One-Name Studies (registering the Sillifant surname) and soon became Secretary and then in 2010, the Chairman. In 2011, Kirsty took over from Penny Christensen as Director of English Studies for the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, updating previous courses and expanding the provision for online genealogical research courses about English records. Having published Tracing Your West Country Ancestors in 2013, Kirsty is now working on Tracing Your Industrial Ancestors with Pen and Sword Books and is a founder member and Chair of the Society for One-Place Studies, a new international society for family and local historians. Although a relative youngster in the field of genealogy, Kirsty has been involved in family history for almost two decades and has lectured on various stages from local to international. Having traded in her day job as a teacher to follow her passion, Kirsty is widely sought after as a family history tutor, lecturer and motivational speaker in the UK.Click here to view all of Kirsty's webinar CDs