A broad overview of research in Europe - a continent spanning more than thirty countries which has been subjected to wars, political unrest and border changes. Europe is a Continent with different languages, cultures and religions, all of which play a part in family history research. This presentation looks at the obstacles and pitfalls a researcher may encounter, and the major historical events & those that have had a marked effect on family history & are identified, especially the impact of the world wars and regional conflicts, border changes and movements of populations. Advice on broadly available sources is also discussed.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on December 16, 2016. 1 hour 38 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
About the author:
- Loved it!
- a tremendous amount of information in a short period of time. Thank you Geoff for entering sites in the chat log.
- Absolutely fantastic! So much really helpful information!
- always the best..thank you for offering great content every time
- Amazing amount of material covered--very useful
- Very very helpful, and her handout was superb. Glad I'm a webinar subscriber! Cheers.
- Excellent information & resource to have on hand. Thank you, Julie & Geoff
- Excellent webinar with so many links.
- Excellent. Who knew I may have Polish ancestors buried in Iran...never would have searched there.
- Fabulous webinar - full of extensive resources and her delighful energy and knowldege of the subject!
- Fabulous! Discovered many new resources and avenues for research! Will be replaying multiple times.
- Fantastic list of links!!! With this and the other webinars there are to watch again or for the first time, there will be no sleep in the next year for me!! Thanks again for another great webinar!
- Fantastic webinar, and outstanding presentation by Ms. Goucher. Thank you!!
- FANTASTIC-WORTH REWATCHING MANY TIMES-GREAT RESOURCES & TALK HER INTO MORE webinars.
- first time listener and for sure, will be here every time. Very impressed with the vast knowledge presented.
- Full of good suggestions and websites for European research.
- Thank you Legacy for the continuing learning. I am 90 years old and have been searching for 60 years.
- Great coverage for a newbie and some new sites for the more experienced researcher. This is a challenging topic!
- Great to have someone who has such comprehensive knowledge of the subject. The links make for many, many hours of research possibilities. can't wait to read her book.
- i'm glad i have a a webinar membership to download the sylabus - there were so many links!
- Julie answered a question I had about where the Iranian/Persian DNA in my husband came from! Lots of fantastic information.
- Julie was interesting and gave us so much information. I could have listened to her longer. Thank you to Julie for a wonderful webinar and a great syllabus!
- Learned so much today! So much to learn! Would to see the presenter back at another webinar :)
- Links are the important part of research to me. This webinar was loaded with them. Thank you...
- Lots of new sources I was not aware of for European research.
- One of the best. I'm glad I made on year New Year resolution - to look into my husband's European ancestors. Now I have lots to research. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
- Outstanding webinar
- Pack filled webinar. Will definitely have to watch again and again.
- So detailed! I loved it & will re-watch it. Thank you.
- So much great information! Can hardly wait to explore some of the sites that Julie mentioned in the webinar!
- Thanks for all the great links and great webinar. I appreciate your fast fingers Geoff, you did an excellent job keeping up with all the links in the chat
- The presentation was excellent! A lot of good websites. Thank s Julie! Thanks Geoff for adding sites as quickly as possible to the chat box.
- Thorough, organized. Great resources.
- today's presentation was excellent - slides and her conversational style while providing so much information was amazing. Well done - very good choice! Would love to hear her speak on UK research.
- Well worth the extra 30 minutes!!!!
- WOW! what an eye opener. Julie has shown how to change my myopic research into a research that as she says "casts a broader net".
- Wow, what an amazing webinar! I hope to see more by Julie Goucher !
A family historian for more than 25 years, Julie started her interest into her roots early, encouraged by a series of Great Aunts. Julie's ancestry is primarily from the southeast of England; Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire and her roots are deeply embedded within those three counties. She also has links to Warwickshire and various other parts of the globe – India, Australia and Canada. Julie is half Italian and it was during her pursuit of this part of her ancestry that she formed both a one-name and one-place study. Julie has been a member of the Guild of One Name Studies for over 10 years and is currently secretary and is the former Secretary and founder member of the Society for One-Place Studies. Julie was a founding member of the Anglo Italian FHS and was vice-chair for around 5 years. Having worked within the Pharmacy management profession for over 20 years, a move to Devon was the catalyst to return to study and complete a history degree. Julie is the writer and developer of the successful "Book of Me, Written by You" program, which has been popular as a series of workshops delivered to both professionals and historians, in addition to undertaking research for some clients. Julie is a regular contributor to The In-Depth Genealogist magazine with her column Across the Pond. Julie's book Tracing your European Ancestors is to be published in 2016 by Pen and Sword Books. When Julie is not working or researching her own ancestry she can be found reading, exploring the many National trust properties within the South of England or writing at her blog – Anglers Rest