Tracking migration in the United States involves using census, vital, land, and probate records, the bread and butter of American research. Get an overview of each of these types of records; learn where to find them, and how to use them effectively to track migration.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on January 14, 2015. 1 hour 29 minutes, plus 6 pages of handouts.
About the presenter:
- Always enjoy Mary Hill's presentations! Lots of good ideas. Thank you.
- Always learn so much when I join the webinars. So glad you are there for us.
- Enjoyed the case study to demonstrate techniques and book suggestions.
- Everything by Mary communicates well and is loaded with good ideas for your research.
- Excellent information; presented in a manner in which a "lay" person could follow. Sources given. Timeline presented in an easy to follow form.
- Excellent presentation on Migration. Excellent example on Research Logs and how they are to be used! Looking forward to Mary Hill's next presentation.
- First timer. It was very exciting and learned several new tricks. Thank you.
- Great first wednesday night webinar. Both did an excellent job.
- Great web! Makes me want to some research right now! But it's too late...have to wait until tomorrow!
- I liked the subject matter... very helpful. And I would like to see more webinars in the evening... the timing of this webinar was very convenient.
- I loved following the case study; it was so informative.
- It was perfect for beginners and a review for others.
- Knowledgeable, experienced presenter; knew her topic. Would have liked more on probate records so will watch for other webinars on that topic.
- Mary Hill is a fountain of information. She presents that information in a clear and concise way that makes one want to stay up all night checking out the resources provided in the presentation.
- Mary Hill is a national treasure. She is so knowledgeable and is able to create well organized presentations that lead you logically step by step along the path she takes as a researcher. I love her webinars.
- Mary Hill is second only to Thomas MacEntee in my eyes! Great topic, wonderful presentation, and Marion did good in her first role as host.
- Mary Hill is such a wonderful speaker. Her presentation becomes a magical story that leaves you wanting more...every discovery is a new adventure! Great job Marian - thank you for hosting!
- Mary is always excellent. She speaks clearly which is a plus. This webinar was also very helpful. I told my husband we need to start timelines on ancestors we have a lot of documents for. However, I also suggested we start with ourselves and two ancestors, one in his family and one in mine.
- Mary was great as always. Kudos to Marian as well.
- Nice to have in the evening. Saw the post on twitter about a half hour before and signed up. Attending live webinars is a rare occurance for me.
- Really liked the map and history book references that Mary gave. I also feel as Mary stated that the resources available now are tremendous compared to 2002. You have to re-do old research.
- She made it look really easy. I found the land records website and their maps to be the most interesting. Plotting the migration on the maps through the various counties and states was really helpful to do for people who move a lot.
- Thank you! Thank you! Enjoyed so much. I liked following a case history. Made it easier to understand. I know this will help me in some of my research. Lots of good sugestions.
- Very knowledgeable presenter. Learned lots. So glad for the chat room and additional references noted.
Mary E.V. Hill, MLS, AG (Southern States and Eastern States) CG; worked as reference librarian at BYU from 1989-1992, as genealogy instructor at BYU from 1992-1995, as Family History Library US/Canada Reference consultant from 1995-2006. She served on the UGA Board of Directors from 2006-2008 and as an LDS missionary at the Family History Library from 2006-2008.
She is the author of Saga of a Southern Loyalist: William Riddle of Virginia and North Carolina; Angel Children; Family Roots Organizer Video Series. She is a lecturer with emphasis on U.S. research methods and genealogical organization.
Mary is a mother and grandmother.
to view Mary's other webinar downloads.