Ever wonder what various gravestone symbols mean? Is everything “set in stone” completely accurate? Gail will walk you through cemeteries all over the country with tips on how to use cemetery and associated records in your genealogy quest.
This class was presented to a live webinar audience on December 2, 2015. 1 hour 55 minutes, plus 5 pages of supplemental syllabus materials.
- Absolutely loved it. I have actually taken a impromtu vacation once because I located the cemetery where my great-grandfather (and family) was buried only to disccover in this lovely large old Catholic church yard - he had not one stone for any family member! Talk about disappointment. I have learned to do a bit more digging before taking off cross country to just go to a cemetery...but it was still worth the trip! Good presentation. Thanks.
- Absolutely one of the very best!
- All encompassing. Valuable info. Thank you!
- Another over the top webinar, and I always love the after party!!
- Definitely one of the best webinars yet. I'm a big time cemetery walker.
- Enthusiastic presentation. Thank you!
- Even this novice learned a lot. Yippee
- Excellent Great depth of research. liked the discussion of Stone art and symbolism.
- Excellent presentation! I learned so much from Gail's presentation. Thanks Gail! I love the after webinar parties. They help so much in using Legacy. Thank you so much! :)
- Excellent presentation! Thank you! I especially liked the gravestone art photos and stories.
- Excellent presentations by two great people! I love Webinar Wednesdays!
- Excellent syllabus and webinar content, including extra information about the history of cemeteries.
- Excellent! I learned a lot and it was entertaining besides!
- Fantastic information on cemetery research! Learned a lot!!!
- Fun to listen to, made the "basic information" for cemetery research interesting and not boring even if you already knew most of what she was talking about. Of course, it doesn't hurt when listening to one of my favorite topics!!!!! And, you always learn something new! Great Webinar!
- Gail is an excellent presenter! Professional and relevant!
- Great "down-to-earth" (pun intended!) information in easy to understand presentation!
- Great information! Can't wait to get to the cemetery yo use it! Thanks Gail!
- Great information. Thanks for the QR Code Reader info
- Had not thought of contacting stone maker for any information they might have available.
- I especially liked the segment regarding grave stone markers and what they mean. My ancestors are German and Czeh so the metal cross markers make sense to me now.
- I learned a lot and many of my questions have been answered by this webinar. Thanks for all the wonderful topics!
- I love the after webinar party - always so many little tips and hints. I am SO glad I use Legacy software and that it is so well supported!
- I signed up for this webinar thinking I already knew about cemetery headstone symbols (after several local seminars). But I learned a lot more than I expected.
- I was able to research 3 cemeteries and find information on my Mother's family while watching the Webinar. And I never left the room! Thank you so much for the help.
- Interesting discussion of symbols on various tombstones. A good review of other info I knew but perhaps was overlooking.
- Interesting Webinar and I always learn something from the after party. Thank you.
- Learned a lot about what to look for, how to look and all her interesting information. I listened to every word! I intend to do some photographing of my husbands family most who are in one cemetary in Sacramento, CA. I will use Legacy now that Geoff showed me how, to make a list of who is buried there so I can mail it to the Cemetary ahead of time to get me the info as to where each is buried. It is a large cemetary and they are not necessarily in the same plot. Thanks for such interesting webinars.
- Lots of great tips, I am going to try right now! I had just recently started finding funeral home records and some other information to add to my research. This webinar will help even more! As always appreciate the after party. :)
- Love her enthusiasm, energy & knowledge. :)
- Loved all the information, but I also loved how the webinar seemed so much like an entertaining show. A+++
- Loved learning about the history of the tombstones/memorials & how they have reflected the changing trends through time.
- Now I've got to go back through all my cemetery photos and look for symbols, clues, etc. AWESOME webinar....... and the after party clarified a bunch of "how to enter" questions as well. Terrific as always. Thank you!
- One of my brickwalls is finding my Paternal great grandfather's death date and burial location. Gail gave great sources on where to look for information. I'm positive I'll have a successful search now. Webinar was great as always. A two thumbs up!!!
- One of the best presentations from one of the best presenters! Thanks
- Super webinar! Lots to learn, too. She is so enthusiastic about the topic. Thanks!
- Thank you for this informative webinar. Gail is certainly a master in the subject. The presentation was paced very nicely.
- The speaker was very well informed and passed that information on to us clearly and in an organized way. Her delivery was clear, friendly, and paced well. I would be happy to hear more from this presenter.
- This is one of my favorite webinars by far. Gail's graphics were beautiful, her explanations thorough, helpful, and useful. I'll definitely be coming back to listen again.
- Very enjoyable webinar about cemeteries, headstones, symbols and timeframe of designs, in the US. Gail Blankenau is very easy to listen to - clear, specific, thorough, and her photos are excellent.
- What a fun afternoon!! An absolutely great webinar...beautiful pictures, cemeteries I'm familiar with (Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn), wonderful enthusiastic speaker. AND...I got most of my Christmas presents wrapped while I enjoyed it. Thanks, too, for the after-webinar party. I always learn more.
- Wonderful - this was SOOOO informative!!!! And LOVED the afterparty!!!!
- Wonderful presentation - thorough, detailed, great visuals. Speaker very knowledgeable and obviously loves the topic.
About the author:
Gail Blankenau is an experienced genealogist, speaker and author. Her publications include articles in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register and The Genealogist. She is also a contributor to Family Chronicle and Internet Genealogy magazines. Based in Nebraska, she specializes in Nebraska records, Midwestern roots, German genealogy, land records, 19th-Century photographs and tracing lineages. More than half her ancestors came from New England, but she has roots in almost every state east of the Mississippi.