Pictures are worth a thousand words, they say. Looking at the property descriptions in some deeds, that word count seems accurate! Certainly, a compass and graph paper still work fine. However, software tools add power and flexibility in the platting of property and creation of maps to aid in your research. Presented in plain English, this presentation focuses on a number of tools to help you plat property descriptions using both proprietary and open source software.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on August 12, 2015. 1 hour 54 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
- Awesome webinar! One I will definitely watch again. Chris does an amazing job of presenting which is very clear and walks one through every step at a really nice pace. His screen shots are great. I love Legacy and promote it always at DAR Genealogy workshops. Thank you for such an outstanding resource!
- Best explanation I've ever heard of how to actually draw a plat. Also a great overview of the various software programs. Great job, Chris ! & thanks to Geoff & Legacy for these great webinars.
- Chris made it seem simple, like I could almost do it!
- Chris made this process of mapping/platting so much easier than I thought it would be. I can actually figure out what to do first, then next, then next... etc. So helpful!! Thanks for adding this sort of 'technical' education to the webinar collection. Chris Staats was excellent and clear, and his slides were top-notch.
- Chris Staats did wonderful job today and it is awesome!!! Kudos!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :-)
- Chris Staats' has a very clear way of presenting information. Although I am not innumerate, a lot of people are put off by anything resembling mathematics; his way of deemphasizing the math I think helps to encourage people to give this a try. The very first time I ran into an example of a researcher who had done metes and bounds mapping for all the properties around his ancestor, I thought this was something I would never be able to do. But now, having seen Chris' presentation, I realize that I can!
- Excellent course - one of the best! Very clear examples and description of the steps and software available.
- Excellent presentation and keep the after parties coming! They're great! Thanks Chris and Geoff. Looking forward to the next Webinar Wednesday!
- Excellent presentation, very logical ... takes you through step by step and shows various options on actually plotting and finding the location of the plot. This is one of the best prepared lecture I've listened to!
- Excellent webinar. Nice to learn technical stuff at a layman's level. Thank you!
- Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. No other word describes it. He was very easy to understand. He left the slides up long enough and yet not too long. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.
- Explained a complicated subject in very simple terms.
- Great webinar, something I had not worked on much, property. I have copies of old handwritten records, one was on blue paper no less, now I can do something about it. Thanks, this was very interesting.
- His system of a chart for each sentence in the land description is ingenious! He really simplified land research for me! I did not realize that each paragraph described one line of the shape of the land!!! Wonderful power points really made his ideas easy to understand. Nice work, Chris!!!
- I have avoided platting until today. Now I feel more confident to give it a try. Thanks.
- I have just started tracking down property records, and though I have done platting before, not in this kind of context. This will be extremely useful. Chris has a talent for making what might seem like obscure concepts very easy to grasp. Thanks.
- I learned so much about plat maps & creating visuals! I can't wait to try this! Geoff's after party was awesome too (as usual).
- Liked seeing the overlay of old property lines to current maps.
- Metes and Bounds simplified. Amazing!
- Something new and fascinating! Also, the after webinar was fabulous! Enjoyed it.
- Thank you for covering Land Plats. They have always been a mystery to me - but I'm going back to give these techniques a try.
- The lecturer spoke clearly, was very understandable, easy to listen. Content was excellent, very clear explanations of the tools. Great presentation of different options and tools. Visuals were really good demonstrations. I will listen to Mr. Staats again, and I will go to the archives and probably watch this several times so that I take it all in. Thank you!
- This webinar was fantastic. Who would have thought an old woman would ever be interested in plotting? But hey, now I KNOW I can do it! Love Webinar Wednesdays!
- Today's webinar reawakened my "inner-geek". It was no accident that I majored in Urban Planning/Geography. I love maps!! Now the biggest problem will be to locate the actual deeds. Chris did an amazing presentation! (and yes, I am old enough to remember when graph paper and a protractor were are only available resources). :D
- Twenty years ago it took me weeks and weeks to teach myself what one could learn today from one hour with this webinar!!
- Very helpful in unlocking the mystery of platting. I especially appreciate the step by step instructions with examples. Fun to listen to Chris as well--nice presentation style..
- Wow! The best ever. I am taking a trip to East TN in October and will be using all this info to go see the properties located there. Woopeeeee!
About the presenter:
Chris Staats is a Cleveland, Ohio-based professional genealogical researcher, presenter, and writer. He has written articles for Family Tree Magazine
, Association of Professional Genealogists Quarterly
, and other publications. Chris has given presentations covering methodology, resources, technology, and other topics at genealogical societies and libraries across Ohio. He is a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists, chapter representative for the Great Lakes APG chapter, and Seminar Chairperson for the Western Reserve Historical Society’s Genealogical Committee.