The parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials in England and Wales give many genealogical clues to help build a family tree. Kirsty Gray also highlights other documents kept by the parish, the diocese and the archdeaconry and the invaluable information which can be gleaned about the lives of our ancestors.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on April 27, 2016. 1 hour 57 minutes, plus 2 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Every Legacy webinar I have attended has been outstanding. Today was another home run. Excellent presenter with information I have previously not taken advantage of in my research plan. Thank you (again)!
- Kirsty Gray did a fantastic job today!!! I learned so much!!!!!!
- Absolutely covered the topic well and just so many other records to uncover.
- All new information for me, very impressive lecture.
- Always enjoy Kirsty Gray's webinars -- she's an entertaining speaker. I enjoy seeing the examples from her research.
- An absolutely fascinating topic and well-presented by a knowledgeable genealogist
- Another great webinar and my ancestors came from England. Enjoyed the after party as always.
- AWESOME!!! Both the very interesting presentation by Kirsty and then the after party with Geoff. Thanks for the create GEDCOM demo! And thanks to Kirsty for providing the details on parish info in England and Wales! All will be used in the near future!
- Enjoyed the after party!!
- Excellent delivery of the many details af little known records.
- Excellent presentation on English parish records. Geoff after party was awesome!
- Excellent presenter. Nice combination of information and examples.
- Fabulous new infor and sources, thank you Kirsty and Legacy.
- Fantastic! Can't wait for her next one
- Fun and Fascinating!
- Good information, very educational.
- Great presentation about a totally new (to me) topic--Thank you!
- Great speaker. I really can't think of any presenter who wasn't great. Learned a lot, as always.
- Great webinar! Cannot wait to dig into my British roots using some of the tips I just learned. Also, totally loved the after webinar party - always wanted to know how to split a family tree into a partial GEDCOM for moving onto another site. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- Great webinar, so much information! I really appreciate the after parties too, lots of help. Thanks :)
- Great webinar. I enjoy the history lesson too. My life is enriched with every webinar I attend. Thanks
- I am 1/4 English. I am going to sign on to Find My Past (for free) and upload my English lines and see what happens.
- I am really excited about uploading my tree to FindMyPast. I had not thought of loading part of a tree but that certainly makes sense.
- I have a lot of ancestors from England. Thank you for pointing out a new place to search.
- I just didn't know how much I didn't know and now I want to know more!!! Kristy Gray is a wonderful teacher with a lovely way of presentation.
- I learned so much today - bursting out with places to search, ideas to use, and new places to bookmark for research questions! Much appreciated. Kirsty is wonderful to learn from.
- I think Kristy did an absolutely wonderful job of presenting this topic clearly and as thoroughly as possible considering how involved this topic really is! Job well done!
- I learn so much from your webinars. I get ideas from them even when they are a subject I may not currently be doing. Bravo!~
- Kirsty gave lots of good info. And Geoff showing how to upload a gedcom to FMP - I'm going to do that with my husband's English ancestors.
- Kirsty Gray is an excellent presenter - and Geoff's After Party is essential viewing. Thanks
- Kirsty hit a home run with this one!
- Kirsty is a GREAT presenter, and also very knowledgeable about her material and the field of genealogy.
- Kirsty is about the best teacher you have doing webinars. Hoping for more interesting topics from her such as non-conformist records
- Kirsty was one of my favorite presenters on a webinar. She kept me engaged in what she was saying. The hour seemed to just fly by.
- Kirsty's expertise and communication style are superb! I thoroughly enjoyed the rich historical backdrop ... she places the genealogical records in context, which helps tremendously with their interpretation.
- Love the amazing new info we always learn. The "after party" is always a treat too. Thanks so much for expanding our horizons!
- Most interesting presentation! Always learn so much from the after parties! Thanks so much!
- Really like the "flow" of the webinar.
- Superb. My mother's parents were both English and I have lots of success on their families but this webinar will add a whole new realm. From the FindMyPast webinar a couple of weeks ago, I have extracted lots of finds from the 1939 Register for all kinds of 'cousins'. These Webinars are fantastic.
- The parish chest webinar was very fascinating ! Also liked seeing the Find My Past demonstration with the gedcom.
- This was my first webinar. Most beneficial experience!
- Today's webinar was even more than I expected. I came away with so many ideas of information I can search for in the Parish Chest. Like Geoff, I see some brick walls tumbling down in the future. Thank you!
- Very good Webinar, and I always enjoy the "after-the-webinar parties" so much. I love to learn. Bless you for them.
About the author:
Kirsty is a professional genealogist and Heir Hunter who runs her own research company Family Wise Limited. As a freelance author, she has published articles in family, local and social history magazines and handbooks across the globe. She has been researching the story of her paternal West Country family for many years and, having realised in the late 1990s that her eccentric hobby was called a surname study, co-founded The Surname Society (registering the Sillifant surname) in 2014 to meet the needs of surname studiers in the 21st century. In 2011, Kirsty took over from Penny Christensen as Director of English Studies for the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, updating previous courses and expanding the provision for online genealogical research courses about English records. Having published Tracing Your West Country Ancestors in 2013, Kirsty is now working on Tracing Your Industrial Ancestors with Pen and Sword Books and is a founder member and was initially Chair (now Secretary) of the Society for One-Place Studies, an international society for family and local historians. Although a relative youngster in the field of genealogy, Kirsty has been involved in family history for almost two decades and has lectured on various stages from local to international. Having traded in her day job as a teacher to follow her passion, Kirsty is widely sought after as a family history tutor, lecturer and motivational speaker in the UK.