Were you told that all the records in the courthouse were burned so you cannot go any further on your ancestor's line? Or have you searched many times at the local repositories only to discover that the records are missing for the years you need? This presentation will cover a handful of proven research techniques that may help you to overcome your destroyed or missing records.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on October 3, 2014. About 1 hour 37 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
- A very thorough review of many alternative sources of records, especially looking at jurisdictional layers and "non-traditional" sources such as manuscript collections.
- Always enjoy these webinar that confirm I am doing something right in my research. I will keep looking and one day I will break through my brick walls.
- Always LOVE listening to Karen and her vast knowledge and the ways she challenges us to think outside the box.
- Another excellent webinar by a lovely speaker. Karen Clifford is smooth, pleasant, easy to listen to, and so encouraging about looking further. I appreciated her ideas and suggestions so much. Now all I need is more time in a day! Thanks again.
- Awesome!!! I love it!!! I learned so much!!! :-)
- Best one ever!!!!
- Can't wait to try out some of the recommendations from Karen.
- Fantastic!! I'm anxious to try some of her methods on my own family. Thank you..
- Glad I saw this webinar. I was just about to give up on my Bennett's but Karen gave me some other possible places to explore. "Never give up!" Yep. Thanks a bunch.
- Great Strategies!
- How lucky you are to have been mentored by Karen. She is the best teacher - so many new ideas are spinning in my head. She is concise and brings excitement to "brick walls". And....I love her filing system! Thanks for hosting.
- I got lots of good ideas I either did not know, or had forgotten about to find some other records to research. Karen is so patient and explains all she says and suggests and such a pleasant voice!
- I have renewed hope with some sources I never thought about. Thank you.
- I loved it. Instructor was very detailed and knowledgeable about the subject. It was presented in a clear and straightforward manner. Very easy to understand. I got lots of good information!
- Karen Clifford is always one of my favorites. She is skilled, experienced, precise and always very helpful. She is the Queen of Genealogy. I will listen to this one again, so I can get even more the second time.
- Karen is excellent, speaker & presenter. Learned a lot that I had no idea of. Thank you Legacy Family Tree Webinars and Karen Clifford for another wonderful afternoon of learning.
- Karen is great! She has wonderful information and lots of experience to draw on for good examples. She is also a wonderful advocate for Legacy Family Tree. I appreciate hearing her tips on using Legacy while doing research.
- Karen's always good for a "meaty" lesson! Love the in-depth advice!
- LOVE how she presents any and every thing!
- Thank you. This presentation was packed with not only reminders of where to look but even new ideas I have not thought about. Sorry to run but now I get to jump into the hunt with enthusiasm too.
- Thanks again for the hope and rejuvenation.....much appreciation!!! I love these webinars. Someday, hopefully I'll get to cruise with you.
- This is one of the best webinars. It has given me a lot to ponder and to apply to my own research, including and Ireland. thank you so much!
- This was wonderful. Geoff is great and the people who present the webinars are sooo knowledgeable. Many thanks!
- This webinar gave me hope! : )
- Very interesting Webinar. A lot of good information for those who have hit their brick wall because of destroyed records. Thanks much.
- WOW! Tremendous webinar and tremendous syllabus.
About the author:
Karen Clifford develops and teaches multiple online genealogy courses at colleges in California (www.mpc.edu) and Utah (www.slcc.edu). She is an Accredited Genealogist® Professional and a Fellow of the Utah Genealogical Association. She has been President/CEO of Genealogy Research Associates (www.GRAonline.com) (a California corporation with offices in Utah) since 1997. Her years of professional research work lead to authoring college textbooks and do-it-yourself guidebooks covering both traditional and electronic genealogy research including several books: Becoming an Accredited Genealogist, The Complete Beginners Guide to Genealogy, the Internet, and Your Genealogy Computer Program (updated 2011), and Digging Deeper: Using Essential Pre-1850 Records (2011). She was the founding President of the Monterey County Genealogy Society, a Director of the Monterey California Family History Center, President of the Utah Genealogical Association, a Vice President of the Federation of Genealogical Societies, and a Vice Chair of the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogist (ICAPGen) where she continues to oversee Test Development and Test Quality Control.