You've watched her solve brick walls and create research plans. Now Marian Pierre-Louis will show you strategies for some of your very own Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts research problems. Marian has chosen some of your family group records to present this live demonstration of creating a personalized research plan.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on November 6, 2013. 1 hour 29 minutes, plus 2 pages of handouts.
About the author:
- "Stream of Consciousness" nicely demonstrated the complexity of the research.
- A good thinking webinar with many good suggestions.
- Another excellent webinar from Marian!!
- Any time Marian is a presenter, I always learn so much more than I imagined I would. She is an excellent teacher and presenter.
- As a superficial researcher I always find it interesting to see how a professional approaches a problem.
- As always - I'm excited to try some new techniques that I have learned from Marian. Great webinar.
- As mentioned, it opened new avenues of thinking.
- Being able to "hear" the thought process, the analysis and the initial screening of resources is absolutely wonderful. Please have more of this type of webinar!!!
- Enjoyed today's webinar. I will definitely check out Marian's related archived webinar. This is the sort of planning I need for my English ancestors.
- Excelent! Excellent! Excellent!!!
- Excellent Lots of great tips and more places to search.
- Excellent presentation suggesting lots of research resources and ways to use those resources.
- Exellent presentation. Will be listening to her past webinars too now that I'm a member of Legacy Family Tree Webinars.
- Extremely helpful in thinking through challenges in research.
- Gave me more places to look and different ways to look at information that is available. Thank you.
- Good presentation of strategies. It helped to have case studies as a foundation for the strategies and how to apply them.
- Great !! A checklist of resources. Thanks so much for this very informative session.
- Great ideas. Marian's webinars are always FANTASTIC! Thanks.
- Great presentation and Geoff you hit the nail on the head when you said it did not matter what location place you are researching, the methodology is the key to good researching, and Marian does an excellent job in taking us outside the box!.
- Great step by step outline to attack our brick walls. Thank you. Well done.
- Great webinar! Learned a lot, will help further my research and brickwalls. Thanks
- I could listen to Marion all day. Although most of my brick walls are in Ireland she has renewed my energy and focus.
- I haven't able to do any genealogy research since May, so watching Marian's webinar was a great motivator in getting back to researching my family tree. Thanks!
- I knew a lot of this, but your presentation made the whole process quite methodical. I tend to be hit and miss sometimes, so this was an excellent resource.
- I learned some things, mostly, the importance of begin where you are or in other words, begin with what you know or are reasonably sure of. Thanks so much.
- I learned things I had never thought of as far as places to search or how to search. I learned about resources on ancestry.com that I didn't know were there! I learned about outside resources such as Marion's site to learn more things. It was well worth my time and I have shared these things with my sister. Thank you.
- I like the way that your mind works, Marian. Great webinar--thanks Marian and Geoff!
- I LOVED seeing how your mind works. You helped me a great deal in how to approach my brick walls. Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us.
- I think methodology sessions are very helpful, regardless of whether it covers our particular geographic area. It's nice to see how she approaches the problem. Thanks.
- Interesting ideas. Marian reminds me that sometimes you have to think of it like working a jigsaw puzzle: start with the edges, then maybe a large focal item, then fill in details.
- Is there a number higher than 5? Marian was fantastic - she thinks she was doing a 'stream-of-conscious' style, but I found it highly organized and logical. Learned lots yet again. She's a phenomenal presenter, with an easy voice to listen to as well. Geoff did his usual great job as host! Kudos to Legacy for promoting these webinars for learning!! Cheers.
- Marian is terrific. She is accessible to the beginner and provides something for those more experienced. More of Marian!
- Marian's webinars are always informative. Geoff, thanks for providing such professional and helpful presenters. I always come away from them with fresh ideas for my research.
- Thanks so much for the new way of thinking for my brick walls.
- Wonderful ideas and examples of how to "think differently" in the research planning process. Thank you!
- Wonderful modeling of how to think through a research problem. Outstanding webinar.
Marian Pierre-Louis is a genealogical writer and speaker who specializes
in southern New England research (Connecticut, Rhode Island, and
Massachusetts). Born and raised in Connecticut, she has lived in
Massachusetts for almost 20 years. Marian has three generations of
recent family ties to Rhode Island and also links to some very old Rhode
Island lines. As a result, these three states have become the focus of
her research activity. Unlike most genealogists, Marian is spoiled to
spend most of her time working with original records. You will most
often find her researching at a town hall, registry of deeds, probate
court or the local cemetery. Itís a rare day that Marian has to sit in
front of a microfilm reader.
Marian is actively engaged in social
media. You can find her starting conversations on Facebook, Twitter
and Google+. She frequently speaks on New England topics including house
history research, social media, African American research and a broad
range of genealogical topics. She is the author of several blogs
Her website is www.FieldstoneHistoricResearch.com.