This session will illustrate how geography can tell you things unknown about your ancestral community and help provide a critical background for the family narrative.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on September 25, 2015. 1 hour 37 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
About the presenter:
- She is such a likeable person.. You can hear her smiles in her voice.
- Always so full of enthusiasm and information. She's one of the best.
- Angela is so easy to lisren to, and, oh, so much knowledge at the tip of rhe tongue. Thank you, Angela and Geoff, for a well-spent afternoon in Jacksonville, Florida. while I have no known black heritage, Angela's Freedom series will be a starting point, should I ever need to help a friend research this area. And, as Angela poinrs out, there are areas here that may help in non-Black history searches. I seems amazing, too, that there is so much data available & being indexed and being put online so rapidly.
- Angela Walton-Raji is so full of helpful information, and you can hear the smile in her voice when talks about genealogy and ways of helping others to research their ancestors.
- Angela's a great speaker! I really enjoy her presentations for both the content & her wonderful speaking style.
- anything she wishes to talk about, I'll sign up for.
- Excellent presentation not just for those with African Ancestry, but everyone to learn about researching. Loved it, loved the presenter.
- Excellent, Excellent webinar. She is a wonderful storyteller
- Fascinating--my head is spinning with new approaches to try. Thank you as always for expanding my genealogy research base!
- Fascinating to see how maps can illuminate lives of ancestors, even when specific data can't be found. And mapping certainly suggests some opportunities for finding names and events! Very interesting. Missed part, so will review video to make sure I got all the suggestions.
- Great webinar, never knew I could learn so much about maps.
- I found this so interesting. I just enjoy listening to Angela. Thanks for all your work. A mapping I will go......
- I learned things I've never learned before - always open to new sources of information. THANK YOU, Angela!
- I love Angela! She makes everything so interesting and exciting. There are not many webinars for us African Americans and I am always so eager to learn as much as possible. I have only begun genealogy in 2010 and Angela's webinars are so helpful. I hope you bring her back again and again! Thank you so much! I am going to start mapping! Thank you too Geoff for being the perfect host!
- I really appreciate her coverage of the rich material on Freedmen's Bureau - excellent!! Her suggestion to create maps for everything so that we can add to the documentation of history is so important!!!
- I'm overjoyed to learn about many more sources to gather history that my ancestors lived through. The additional data on The Freedman's Records was awesome because I'm trying to assist in the digitalization push! Thank you so much for bringing your experience and passion for American history to my ears.
- My favorite topic: Maps and all they can show me. A one semester class in 90 minutes. You are commended for your work and dedication.
- Needed to hear a viable resource for an idea in charting my research - Gained a clear perspective as to how and an accessible resource with Maps Marker Pro. Thank you for your kind service and the expertise of Ms. Angela Walton-Raji, she is quite infectious.
- One of my favorite speakers.
- Showed varied examples, cleay explained her thoughts and process. Gave insight into breadth of people envolved in war and reconstruction as well as parts of history we often over loook.
- Thanks for another wonderful Webinar. Learned how to make a map and how to search online for an old one. Angel is a great teacher - informative and enthusiastic. Please invite her back soon.
- The presentation by Angela Walton-Raji was very informative and inspiring. I learned so many new things to help with my Genealogy research. I hope Legacy will off more webinar's by Angela and others in the Freedom Series. Thank You.
- The webinar was about Maps and you need this in your Toolbox whatever kind of research you have to do. Very informative. Everyone can do this because they have family that was located somewhere. Thanks again!
- The whole Freedom Series has been amazing! So many paths to explore and so little time!
- This was a great webinar. I love Angela's presentations. I am not African American but I do teach classes and lead groups with African American participants and these webinars are a huge help. Thanks Millenia, for making these webinars possible.
- Well informed presenter, who was engaging and insightful. Invite Angela again, please.
- What a beautiful speaker!! I learned so much about a subject I've never explored. It was a wonderful Webinar. Thanks so much Angela!
A founding member of AfriGeneas.com, Ms. Angela Walton-Raji is also a
genealogist specializing in information for beginners, via daily and
weekly online genealogy chats on AfriGeneas. As host of a weekly
genealogy podcast, a number of instructional videos and as an expert
consultant on video documentaries, Ms. Walton-Raji combines her skills
as a genealogist with a warm on camera personality that brings comfort
to her viewers through and her instructional videos on YouTube, while
providing them with useful information. She is a published author, host
of 3 blogs, in addition to a 10-year ongoing message board, 3 websites,
and The African Roots Podcast.