Feeling stuck? Have a difficult genealogy research problem? It may be time for a professional to assist. Join educator, author, and researcher, Karen Clifford, as she answers your questions and demonstrates how she solves genealogy cases. Seeing how someone else approaches a genealogy mystery can give you new ideas to apply for your own hunt.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on November 4, 2015. 1 hour 34 minutes.
Comments from Karen's last webinar:
- 5+++ Wish Karen could do a case study wrap-up about every other month! Inside her brain is a ton of knowledge and experience. Each case study she discusses brings up new ideas, new resources, and gets me back working on a dead end line. I just love her webinars. Please keep her around next year!
- Always learn something new from Karen or a different view to consider.
- Absolutely amazing, as she always is! Thank you, Karen!
- As always Karen provides great insights into breaking down brick walls!
- As always, I got so much out of Karen's sharing of the analysis and research process. I learn the details of many of these sources, but it really comes together for me when she shows how it works. She is an excellent, organized presenter and a gifted teacher. Each time I watch her, I know I come away a little closer to being a good genealogist.
- As usual...Karen is FABULOUS!
- enjoy watching someone else's research thought process - very helpful!
- Excellent series. Karen's research skills are top notch.
- Excellent. She is so easy going, she just relaxes you and makes you feel that genealogical research is so very pleasant.
- Fresh insight when you're at "the wall". It has given me new ideas as to where to search next. Thanks
- Great explanation of how to write a summary, explanation, and every person format.
- Great webinar! I really like her webinars. I like how she shows what she did and suggestions as to what to do next. I really liked the syllabus a lot. Thanks
- Her actual walk-thru on each case with us is so very helpful!
- Her notes and research methods are truly outstanding!
- I appreciate the showing of the citation and the abstraction of data, something I need to do for my current research project.
- I enjoyed to learn more about it today. Katie did wonderful job!!! I love it!!! Kudos!!! :-)
- I love how she suggests sources and tells where to find these sources
- I love the Researching with Karen series. It is so helpful to watch a professional go through a problem and have a front row seat to their thought process. Thanks so much to Karen for being willing to share her expertise and to Geoff and the Legacy staff for providing us with such helpful webinars.
- This really helps all of us become better at analyzing what we know...and figuring out what we need to do next. Thank you, Karen. I can't imagine HOW long it took you to prepare for today. Wow!
- It is very helpful to go through the thought process of a professional such as Karen. It increases awareness of what records are available, where they are located, and how to really be aware of what is in the record.
- Karen has a nice way to present her thought process. Especially valuable was "the Research Plan", How to abstract or summarize the known information, where to look for additional sources, e.g. state census, church records, etc. The use of maps to track and verify locations was exceptional.
- Karen is a great presenter, methodial and thorough. I enjoy listening and using her Webinars.
- Karen is always wonderful to listen to. I learn so much every time! Thank you, Karen.
- Karen is one of the very best.......we love her......bring her back often! Thanks Geoff and Legacy for all that you do to help us struggling minigenealogists!
- Karen is so knowledgeable about the finer, deeper resources ... I could listen to her all day! I always leave feeling energized with renewed faith in my abilities to find missing facts in my searches, and with new resources galore. Thanks, Legacy!
- Karen is such a great teacher and so free with her assistance. Great webinar.
- Loaded with terrific info! Worth the time to view.
- Love how you can go from one source to another you might not have thought about.
- Love the ideas and motivational topics she presents.
- loved each of Karens" presentations!!! This last one, talking us through the research process was most helpful and thorough . It also highlighted my need to focus on my organization as I continue! Lovely Web-Wed!! Thank you!
- Practical examples of actual researching, and many resources cited. The hand out is exceptional and I sure it will become an important tool. Thank you for offering to help find our 'Brick Wall' people. The effort I made to gather my research to submit took many hours, but was useful as it revealed areas I still need to work on. Best Regards, and I look forward to future webinars with you.
- So interesting to learn about the process behind professional research. Thank you!
- The list of Record Groups in the syllabus is valuable as a guide. Thanks
- These webinars just keep getting better and better!!!
- This has helped me so much! Thank you Karen for taking the time and choosing my brick wall on Daisy Hull as an example.
- This was a great webinar. I can always depend upon Legacy and Geoff to present outstanding webinars.
- To sit here at home and learn so much in Family History, is remarkable. Thank you!
- Very helpful--especially finding obscure record groups to search. I will definitely buy her book! She is my new favorite Webinar presenter. I teach genealogy classes at Church and watching how she presented some complex strategies gave me great ideas on how to better teach my own classes!!! Wow! One of the best webinars I have heard in a long time!!!
- Worth the wait. Great Webinar. So many ways to knock down your 'brick wall'.
About the author:
Karen Clifford develops and teaches multiple online genealogy courses at colleges in California (www.mpc.edu) and Utah (www.slcc.edu). She is an Accredited Genealogist® Professional and a Fellow of the Utah Genealogical Association. She has been President/CEO of Genealogy Research Associates (www.GRAonline.com) (a California corporation with offices in Utah) since 1997. Her years of professional research work lead to authoring college textbooks and do-it-yourself guidebooks covering both traditional and electronic genealogy research including several books: Becoming an Accredited Genealogist, The Complete Beginners Guide to Genealogy, the Internet, and Your Genealogy Computer Program (updated 2011), and Digging Deeper: Using Essential Pre-1850 Records (2011). She was the founding President of the Monterey County Genealogy Society, a Director of the Monterey California Family History Center, President of the Utah Genealogical Association, a Vice President of the Federation of Genealogical Societies, and a Vice Chair of the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogist (ICAPGen) where she continues to oversee Test Development and Test Quality Control.