Your Italian ancestors are just waiting to be discovered! The availability of Italian records has increased exponentially in the past few years, making research much easier than it has been. In this overview, we will discuss how to find the records you need (on film, on site and on line), what to look for in the records, and a tiny bit of history to put it all into perspective.
This class will be presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on August 27, 2014. About 1 hour 30 minutes, plus 13 pages of handouts.
About the author:
- AWESOME !!!! I am going to wear-out the archived version !!
- Bene, bene, bene!
- Best EVER!!! Thank you so much. Bring her back!!! :-)
- Best webinar for me to date. Ruth's energy and knowledge were outstanding. Thanks very much.
- Beyond excellent.
- Even if you don't have Italian heritage, it is possible that the sources and information can be applied to other nationalities. Very extensive Webinar.
- Even though we don't think we have Italian ancestors, we loved the presentation - learned so much about history & researching! It'l be fun to see if perhaps we do have an ancestor there!
- This seminar gave a great starting info which I will now follow.
- Excellent! Excellent!! Excellent!!!
- Excellent. Been researching Italian records for 2 years and learned of so many new places to go. Really liked the website you can go to from home. Will spend many less hours at the family search center.
- Explained so much I didn't even know I didn't know.
- Fantastic presentation. Records defined; HOW TO READ THEM; and resources too. WOW!
- Fantastic!! And I don't have any Italian ancestors that I know of.
- Great information and easy to follow instructions on how and where to find records.
- Great lecture! I don't have any Italian ancestors, but after hearing Ruth, I wish I did! Thanks to both of you.
- Great overview for someone who has never researched Italian records.
- Great Webinar! Ruth really inspired me to get into researching my Mersino family in Italy. I have a clue as to where to begin now. I will be looking forward to her future webinars. Thanks again for a great afternoon!
- I've been viewing Legacy Webinars for years and I think this was the best--useful for both novices and experienced searchers.
- I don't have any known Italian ancestors, but this was still a wonderful, informative, and enthusiastic presentation. certainly worth my time. I always learn things from the webinars. I always find insight into techniques and "genealogical" mindset. Thanks for the afternoon of enjoyment.
- I have no Italian ancestors but still found her outstanding.
- History lesson as well as genealogy information what a day. So glad I was here today.
- I strongly believe it is important to learn the basics with a well informed researcher. Ruth Merriman surely fits that bill.
- I, like many others listening in today, have no Italian ancestors, but I was still enthralled by the presentation. Fascinating, indeed!
- I'm always amazed at the little things I learn at each webinar--regardless of the topic. I loved this seminar for the history, the organization and the presentation! And I have no knowledge of having Italian ancestors...Great job!!!
- I'm so glad that you archive these webinars. My electricity went out 10 minutes into the presentation. Even though I don't have any Italian ancestors, the webinar was captivating.
- Most appreciative of the historical background and then the level of detail to gain an appreciation of what all is available, how it is organized within the country, the helpful links and tips. One of the best power point accompaniment/presentations I've seen to date. Definitely holds one's attention.
- OMG!!! What a great webinar. Please have her back soon.
- One of the most informative webinars. Very good graphic details - easy to understand.
- Outstanding organization, visuals, explanations! I speak a little bit of Italian, but have no client or personal roots in Italy, but I loved this!
- Ruth Merriman is outstanding! I heard her speak in Pittsburgh and as always, she provides excellent information and strong, helpful educational handouts. Thanks for having her as part of our Legacy webinars.
- Ruth's presentaion was a 5+. Her knowledge of Italy was remarkable. I loved her illustrations which helped me to understand the excellen lesson she presented. I learned so much, even tho' I have been researching in Italy for some time. Thank you again. It was a "best" webinar.
- This was absolutely the very best webinar that I have attended. She is so passionate about her research and so willing to share what she knows. Hope she will do more webinars in the future.
- This was extremely concise, informative and interesting. I have renewed faith in the possibility of finding my Italian family. Ruth was absolutely fantastic!!!!
- This was one of the most informative webinars. Thank you so much for many leads in helping with my research. Please come back again.
- This was sooooooooooooooooo helpful!!! Since I don't speak Italian, knowing the positions and the couple catch phrases on the various forms will definitely help me 'translate' what I'm looking at. I'll also be checking out that Facebook site!
- Tons of information provided. I am happy I am a subscriber as this is one I will be going back to again and again.
- Totally awesome Webinar. This is the best one I have watched so far.. The information was very helpful. I will be putting it to good use to see if I can further my search into the Italian records. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for bringing us such knowledgeable and quality people!
- Very best webinar I've seen. Instructor was not only knowledgeable and experienced but gave so many ideas and samples. I cannot wait to jump in and check out everywhere she mentioned. I will be watching for more of her webinars!
- Very informative. I knew nothing (other than general knowledge) about researching in Italy before this webinar. Ruth Merriman gave helpful and detailed information that would get anyone started on the right path. Very pleasant presentation style w/ good speed and clear speech.
- What a wonderful webinar. I don't have Italian ancestors but I loved it. I learned so much. Thank you!
- Wish I had Italian ancestors - this was an eye-opener.
Ruth Lapioli Merriman is the former manager of the International Research Consultation Unit in the Family History Library. She now works preparing digital images from Italy for publication on the FamilySearch website and on the website of the National Archives of Italy. She graduated from BYU with a Bachelor's degree in English and a Master's degree in Library Science. She worked in Cataloging for FamilySearch for more years than she would like to say before transferring to the Family History Library. She has been an accredited Italian researcher with ICAPGen for 10 years and is passionate about Italian genealogy.