This webinar will trace the lives of four individuals that served as witnesses and also acquired land under the Homestead Act of 1862 in Livingston Parish, Louisiana. This case study will examine how the lives of these witnesses interconnected by reviewing their land entry papers.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on August 12, 2016. 1 hour 22 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Bernice Bennett is a wonderful story teller!
- A wonderful walk-through case study re the Homestead Act of 1862 and the importance of the witnesses. Well-constructed, well-presented, filled with tips and valuable resources, and supporting the importance of broadening your search to include the witnesses as well as the homesteader. However, the icing on the cake was Bernice Alexander Bennett's terrific gift of story-telling as she took us through her search and what she was able to find in such a thoroughly enchanting manner. Thanks so much!
- Although I do not have any direct ancestors that homesteaded, Bernice's webinar had me totally captivated with her knowledge and experience in this genre of research. I could listen to her all afternoon.
- An eye opener in how important witnesses are to your research.
- Awesome story teller! Awesome research, results, and presentation! Thanks!
- Bernice Alexander Bennett! Awesome storyteller and historian! I always enjoy expanding my knowledge of other cultures and their unique journeys! I have discovered that we are more alike in so many ways than we are different! Kudos to her for uncovering so much rich detail about her ancestors and their community! Loved it!
- Bernice Bennett's webinar was extremely well done. Her presentation of the material held my interest from beginning to end; what a great story teller. The importance of community during this period of time was monumental. Following witnesses in homestead records is a great way to confirm relationships and to find family. Really enjoyed this presentation.
- Bernice was great! She proved the value of tracking neighbor relationships.
- Bernice, a fabulous concept of researching the acquaintances of the ancestors. Allows one to better understand them as people. Thanks.
- Berniece, thank you for such an enthralling and highly informative audiovisual journey of your search for your ancestors!!
- Case studies are my favorite kind of webinars and this was one of the best!
- Excellent presentation, enthusiasm, knowledge, & handout. Love her work!
- Fantastic! So interesting and informative! I hope she does more webinars, she was wonderful to listen to, made the stories come alive! :)
- Fascinating story teller and just a beautiful, gentle voice!!! The knowledge just flows from her.
- Great presentation. I now intend to follow the witnesses for my African American Great Grandmother's Land Patent in Arkansas.
- Great presentation--the story of Bernice's discoveries, and the documents she found was fabulous!
- Great seminar. Presentor is very enthusiastic about her topic increasing our interest as well.
- Great Session! Lots of good information on Witnesses--never thought of looking at them.
- Great storyteller who was so easy to listen to. Easy to adapt her methods to other states.
- her excitement encouraged me; loved her storytelling "Voice"
- Her excitement gets us all excited. Cant wait to dive in the my homestead records. Great webinar
- I enjoyed it very much. These last 2 webinars have gotten me to looking at new document sources. Thanks.
- I had never thought about witnesses to Homestead applications (or a wedding or other event) before. Now I know how valuable it can be to research the witnesses.
- I have found that witnesses are rarely not connected to the family. It can be a lot of work, though.
- I loved the alternative format of just sitting back and hearing a story. Very nice pace for a Friday. Thanks for all you do, Geoff!
- I'll listen to Bernice just for her enthusiasm in telling her stories!
- Learning how to use GLO records and BLM was great today. I have something new to do over the weekend.
- Lively presentation demonstrating the speaker's research skills in using federal and local records and her presentation skills. Delightful!
- Loved her interesting story. Now I'm searching the Land Patent Index site she told us about.
- So glad the info she talked about can be used on other states. It seems like a rich field that may hold some discoveries for me as well.
- Very interesting and loved the stories! Bring Bernice back soon!
- Very, very interesting! And a wonderful handout, too. Thank you, Bernice, for a great webinar.
- What a great storyteller! Her enthusiasm is infectious! Thank you for having her!
- Wonderful, warm and inspiring presentation!
About the author:
Bernice Alexander Bennett is an author, family historian, producer and host of Research at the National Archives and Beyond! Blogtalkradio, and a volunteer at the National Archives working on preparing Civil War Widows’ Pension Records for digitization for Fold3.