After the incredible findings of his first encounter with genetic genealogy, Geoff is ready to take his DNA research to the next level. He wants YOU – the live webinar audience – to be there with him as he explores GEDmatch.com for the first time. On hand to guide, interpret and explain what Geoff discovers will be DNA expert, webinar presenter, and yourDNAguide.com’s Diahan Southard. The result will be a live and unscripted session giving DNA neophyte researchers (like Geoff) a first-hand look at what to expect from one of DNA’s key tools – GEDmatch.com.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on July 8, 2016. 1 hour 33 minutes.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Absolutely AMAZING. This is WAY WAY WAY beyond cool. Diahan is a goddess!
- ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! I got my DNA results back from Ancestry a few weeks ago and besides looking at their circles, I was lost. I did upload to GEDmatch and have been playing around but didn't really understand what I was 'looking at' much less what it was for!!! Thank You!!!
- ABSOLUTELY phenomenal!
- Another terrific webinar by Diahan Southard. I'm learning more and more about DNA testing. I look forward to any future webinars on DNA.
- Another top-notch webinar - Diahan is fabulous at explaining about DNA results and how to use the different information. And watching Geoff live helps a great deal as he works his way through the information. A winning combination! Thanks to the behind-the-scenes people who were answering some of the questions in the chat log.
- Another webinar that I will watch and watch again... Thanks for taking a bit of the mystery out of my DNA analysis
- Another webinar: Adoption and DNA. YES!!!!
- Awesome, as always...I have a bit of a spinning headache with the DNA...will watch it again tomorrow. Wonderful information though!
- Delightful seminar.
- Diahan is exceptional always!!!!
- Diahan is very good at explaining the complicated details of DNA. Before this webinar, I didn't understand Gedmatch at all. Now I really think it's going to help my research in big ways!
- Diane did a great job as usual and Geoff is always entertaining, lol!
- excellent - now to re-watch again and again so I can do!
- Excellent webinar . . . now I feel I can navigate a bit more on GedMatch . . . thank you!
- Excellent! Please do Adoption and DNA soon!!!!
- Excellent!! Will be watching that one over and over - thank you! (Mind still blown - but in a good way!)
- EXCELLENT!!! I need all of this! so excited! Still waiting for my DNA results! THANKS!!!
- Extremely helpful! Would have taken years to figure all that out by myself!
- FANTASTIC! Am going to re watch this as there is a lot of information Diahan gave us today. Am anxious to re look at my GedMatch files now! Thank you.
- Fantastic. I have been using gedmatch for a while, but I learned so much more about how to get the most out of it today. I love Diahan's style of presentation--she is great to listen to, she anticipates questions and answers them, she provides excellent samples/examples, she doesn't overwhelm with technical jargon but does explain critical terms, and she can interject a bit of fun without losing any focus.
- Glad I am a subscriber. Will probably have to watch this one 2 or 3 more times to digest all of the info.
- Going back to review the former webinars and then watching this one again, again, again. Also referring my cousins...thanx
- Great webinar on Gedmatch and how to use the tool.
- Great webinar to help with confusing DNA analysis. Thanks.
- Great, time-saving hints!!!
- I can't get enough of Diahan! She is a marvelous teacher!
- I am glad that Diahan ended the webinar by stating that GEDmatch is confusing because that is how I felt.
- I have had my data loaded in GEDMATCH for years. I had no idea what the next steps were. This webinar helped me so much. I'm going to purchase Diahan's factsheet and continue my explorations. Thanks so much. I will also recommend that my genealogy study group watch this webinar.
- I haven't any experience with Gedmatch,com but have tested at 23&Me,, also at Ancestry. On Anc. just learned that a lady has the 1/2 sister of my Dad. A little spit can tell alot!
- I love the live show & tell. It is so helpful. Thanks...
- I thought it was wonderful and informative. I've been road-blocked at this site for awhile and this was very helpful. Diahan is the BEST!
- In one word, PHENOMENAL !
- It was fun to watch Geoff's face.
- It's good that Gedmatch is getting this type of positive exposure. Thanks.
- I've been a member of GEDmatch for at least a year and never knew about some of the functions shown today. Thank you!
- I've been dabbling in GEDmatch and FTDNA for a couple years but I still learned things today. You have the best webinars!
- I've had my result uploaded to GEDMATCH for over 2 years but got completely lost. Now I know what to look for and where to start!
- Learned so much and I LOVED the live format
- Lots of brand new information that I have never heard before. Super useful to where I am now in my genealogy search.
- Loved it! Just learned about your webinars via a person that I am likely related to. He sent me the one about triangulation this weekend. Now I will be able to work out my end of things via triangulation and we may be able to figure out our connection. Saw that you had an upcoming webinar about GEDmatch (today) and learned a few new things. Yay! Will subscribe to the site when more free time is available in the rainy winter. Excellent!
- Loved it, thank you. I attempted to upload my RawData some time ago and met with frustration in how to analyse the results. You have given me insight as to what I should definitely be doing. I'm very grateful!
- Most helpful DNA presentation ever. Especially liked watching Geoff watching :-)
- One of the best ever.
- Outstanding. I wish I had been able to take this before signing on for the high-level DNA workshop I took at Jamboree last month.
- So glad you did this one, I have uploaded to GEDMATCH and had no idea what I was looking at!!! Now I can begin to understand and use it. Thanks!
- So much to learn but today has really helped understand the direction to go in. Well done.
- Super super webinar. Congratulations
- Thank you this was exactly what I needed. :-)
- THANK YOU! I am getting much closer to understanding DNA.......but it is a very SLOW process!
- Thanks Geoff. This webinar made the DNA results less scary for me. I will watch again and upload my DNA to Genmatch.
- Thanks so much. Diahan is great. Please DO do the Adoption.Dna and a DNAGEDcom webinar too. Need help with endogamous communities too please. Happy weekend!
- This was a very good/great webinar. Excellent presentation by Diahan of her subject matter knowledge on DNA. Thanks Legacy Family Webinar!
- Using a live webinar as a teaching tool is an excellent idea! Geoff is so comfortable learning spontaneously and Diahann has a wonderful teaching style.
- Very helpful, THANK YOU! I have been stumbling around gedmatch trying to figure out how to make sense of it, and this has given me tools to make sense of my matches!
- Very helpful. I find GEDMatch to be very confusing and this presentation cleared up some of that. And it was comforting to see that Geoff was as confused as I was.
- Very informative and helpful. I just got my results and uploaded them to GEDMatch last week in time for this webinar. Thank you! I would love to hear one on adoption and DNA.
- very interesting and confusing.. I had no idea there was so much to DNA.. Thanks
- Very interesting and would love to have Diane do a Seminar on DNA in the future! in ALASKA Geoff has been here and we loved him!
- Watching you and your expressions were worth its weight in gold!
- WOW! Great information! My first time hearing and seeing a presentation on GEDmatch and how to! Thanks to you both! How exciting for you Geoff!
- WOW! Great introduction to GEDMATCH
- Wow--I learned so much! Thank you for the walk through--it has really helped!
- Yes, Yes, Yes to More, More, More Diahan's DNA webinars!!
About the authors:
Geoffrey D. Rasmussen is the father of four budding genealogists. He graduated with a degree in Genealogy and Family History from Brigham Young University and has served as director and vice-president of the Utah Genealogical Association. He is a dynamic genealogy speaker on all forms of genealogy technology, and as host of the Legacy Family Tree webinar series, has spoken virtually to nearly 100 different countries. He has authored books, videos, articles, and websites, and develops the Legacy Family Tree software program. On a personal note, Geoff enjoys playing the piano, organ, cello, basketball and bowling. His favorite places are cemeteries, the ocean, and hanging out with other genealogists. He met and proposed to his wife in a Family History Center. He is the author of the recently-released, Kindred Voices: Listening for our Ancestors, and the popular books Legacy Family Tree, Unlocked! and Digital Imaging Essentials.
A microbiology graduate, Diahan Southard worked before and after graduation for the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation. Growing up with the budding genetic genealogy industry lead her to her current position as Your DNA Guide, where she provides personalized, interactive experiences to assist individuals and families in interpreting their genetic results in the context of their genealogical information. Diahan's lectures are always fun, upbeat, and full of energy. She has a passion for genetic genealogy, a genuine love for people, and a gift for making the technical understandable.