Geoff finally did it! He took his first step into the world of DNA and had his two maternal grandparents tested (autosomal tests from AncestryDNA). He recently received the testing results and has waited to explore them – for the first time – in front of a LIVE webinar audience. You are invited to watch live as his DNA results are revealed. He is hoping that somehow DNA will bring down one of his longest-standing brick walls. On hand to interpret and explain what Geoff discovers will be DNA expert, webinar presenter, and yourDNAguide.com’s Diahan Southard. Geoff has kept the results hidden from her as well. The result will be a live and unscripted session giving DNA neophyte (like Geoff) viewers a first-hand look at what to expect from their first autosomal DNA test.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on April 19, 2016. 1 hour 42 minutes.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Absolutely fabulous. I've had my Ancestry DNA for a couple of years and just did my brother and daughter, but did not know how to interpret the results. Thanks so much.
- Am stoked to listen to Diahan's webinar in June. Learned quite a bit today.
- Amazing!!! I learned so Much! I wish it could have been longer. I am also interested in knowing which test are appropriate for whom and the difference between autosomal DNA, yDNA and mtDNA. I know it is on another Webinar, just not sure which one.
- Another excellent webinar! The watch-it-live concept was exceptionally fun. Thanx, Geoff and Diahan!
- As someone who has not done a DNA test yet, I found Diahan's beginner information to be very helpful.
- Being a newbie, was glad to see how to get around in Ancestry DNA, and no explanations of the medical theory of DNA.
- Best one I have watched so far. Loved the visuals with her commentary.
- Best webinar yet and that's saying a lot since they have all been great! Ordering my dna kit now and signing up for a consultation. Thank you for doing this live!
- Congratulations, Geoff, on finding cousins to share info on your Brown family. Happy searching.
- Covered a lot of new territory and an excellent presentation! First Class!
- Excellent and I guess I will finally put a tree on Ancestry and get tested.
- Excellent guide by Diane through Geoff’s DNA unveiling! Glad I caught it in time. Now, I’ll go get my own DNA done. : )
- Excellent presentation and very helpful. I had my ancestry dna screen up and followed right along as Dianne guided Geoff through his screen. Loved that it was unscripted and responsive to questions and discoveries as they came up.
- Excellent!!! Would love more practical application of How-to DNA like today's webinar. THANK YOU!!!
- Excellent. The time flew by. I knew nothing about DNA testing before the webinar. Now I know how to work with the results at ancestry. Nice !!!
- Exceptional Session! Really appreciate Geoff sharing his DNA results with us!!
- Exciting and makes me what to participate in my own DNA testing!
- Fantastic webinar! Diane is so knowledgeable and explains everything so clearly. I've taken 5 DNA tests with 4 companies (Ancestry, 23andMe, ftDNA, and the early National Geographic genome project), but I learned a lot today. Thanks for hosting this webinar!!
- Fascinating to see things unfold live! I never realized what DNA could help with. I am very early in my research but now think DNA could be something I incorporate down the line. Thanks for (yet another) great webinar!!
- Finally understood how the circles and new ancestor hints worked. Great webinar.
- I have had my DNA on ancestry for a year or more, and now I have some idea of what I should be doing. Thank you.
- Fun! I'd like to see this kind of thing again -- an expert to help a listener live.
- Good intro presentation in easy to understand format. Congrats Geoff on your new discoveries!
- Great information about what Ancestry has to offer with DNA. Thanks Diahan. Lots of fun with Geoff discovering his connection to John Nelson Brown and Griffin Brown.
- Great to get information on how to interpret your results, I have been sitting on mine for a couple of weeks and will now be able to do something with them!
- Great webinar . Okay I give, going to do the DNA testing. Thanks Geoff. Im so excited for you, hope I get just as lucky as you did
- I absolutely loved this webinar. I am going to watch it at least one more time just to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I am excited to explore my own ancestry circles and discoveries. Thank you so much - this webinar was worth the yearly membership all by itself!
- I finally know what to do with New Ancestor Discoveries! I just ignored them because the names never matched those I had, but now I can search! Thanks!!
- I had Ancestry DNA results and wasn't sure what to do with them! Thanks so much for the guidance. And congratulations, Geoff, on your success!
- I haven't done much with my DNA results on either 23andMe or Ancestry because I just didn't understand what I was looking at or how to go through it all. With this webinar and Diahan's QuickGuides for both sites, I think I can finally start looking at it all...if I do so quickly!
- I learned a lot about AncestryDNA today. Great presentations. Love the Geoff Live events. Could hear the excitement in his voice.
- I learned some techniques to use the new ancestor discovery circle as well as the dna circles. Thanks for inviting us to see your dna discoveries.
- I LOVE Geoff's live webinars. I just got my DNA results & was waiting for this so I knew how to analyze them. I did a little browsing yesterday and today & found a 2nd cousin which I didn't identify when I first saw it - and today in the shared ancestors info I found one that shares my great great grandfather which is my current brick wall, so hopefully can find more info through their tree. Diahan & Geoff are very easy to listen to and understand what they are presenting.
- I'll have to look at this one again so I can understand my DNA findings. Can't wait to hear her again! Woowho....it was great having more than one webinar per week!
- It was great to see how helpful DNA can be in supporting genealogical research. So fortunate that those two Brown descendants tested as well.
- I've attended all of Geoff's "Watch Geoff Live" webinars, but this was, by far, the best! I got goosebumps just feeling your excitement. That's why we do genealogy :)
- Love Diahann, and it was so exciting to see Geoff get the very answers he wanted! I hope he knows it rarely happens so fast and concisely!
- OK, I am literally sold on DNA testing for genealogical purposes. I am calling my parents today to see if they would be willing to submit DNA samples for testing if I buy the kits. Thanks, Geoff, for presenting a compelling way in which DNA testing can help bust through brick walls (or at least build a ladder, allowing you to peer over or around the wall).
- One of the best - it was very helpful to see the DNA theory in practice.
- One of the best webinars yet. Diane's explanations were very clear about a complex subject. Will definitely watch the webinar again.
- Really gave me some insight to the DNA process and what to expect. Thanks a bunch!
- Really great explanation of migrating through Ancestry's DNA results. Would like to see a similar webinar for Family Tree results ....
- Really great webinar for those of us who are just beginning to think about working with DNA.
- She is a GREAT speaker and I learned a lot more about DNA than I anticipated.... Great job to Geoff also.
- Showing the Ancestry interface and how it works in presenting DNA information has really helped my understanding of how DNA results can help with genealogy research. Thanks for sharing your information.
- Thank you Geoff for sharing your results from your grandmother with us. I've been really hesitant about doing the DNA at Ancestry without knowing what to look for or expect. And I've been contacted by several that had tested but were a little crazy in their requests, so this made things a great deal clearer. Again, thank you for sharing!
- That is really awesome that Geoff's unscripted results was one of the best teaching situations of how to use DNA to address a genealogical problem. Good going! Those ancestors want to be found!
- There is nothing so instructive as watching an expert dip into their bag of skills and tricks while you look over their shoulder. This was great!!
- This is the best explanation of using my results that I've ever seen. Thank you!
- This was fantastic to follow along Geoff's genetic genealogy journey at Ancestry with Diahan as his guide! How lucky was that? Getting your research question answered right off the bat? Crazy!
- This was one of the best seminars I've seen!
- Totally Awesome...loved being able to experience Geoff's DNA success!!!! Lots of good information!
- Very clear presentation about the parts of the Ancestry DNA web page and what to expect when one clicks. Very emotional to watch Geoff make his connections; I hope my discoveries are as easy.
- Very, very helpful. Thanks, Geoff, for being the guinea pig. It really helped me to understanding the whole process of DNA testing, from start to finish.
- Well done. I like the easy step-by-step demonstrations.
- Well done... nice to see something associated with the wonderful world of genealogy presented in a manner that will be helpful to the beginners as well as the intermediate practionishers! Geoff, as usual, it was a webinar worth watching - not only the first time, but being available to go back and review the 80-90% that we mere mortals tend to lose 30 minutes after the session. Again, job well done!
- Wonderful webinar! :) I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, but I definitely learned a few things!
- Wonderful Webinar. Just what I needed to understand DNA testing as a beginner. Thanks!
- Wonderful!! Absolutely - so helpful, great information, very well explained, very clear. Wow. And congrats to Geoff for getting two questions answered today about his Asa Brown family. Love these Geoff Live webinars. :)
- Wow! I've had my DNA on Ancestry for about a year, but I had no idea there was so much more I could do! What a great webinar. I'll have to watch it again and follow along with my own ancestry dna page as I go. Thank you.
- WOW! That was amazing! Congrats to Geoff on your excellent DNA matches. I followed along looking at both my own matches as well as an adopted friend's matches whom I'm trying to help discover her birth father. Diahan's explanations and process helped me see how I might go about using my matches just as well as she helped Geoff. I would love a follow-up webinar as Geoff continues to explore DNA matches, circles and predicted ancestors.
- WOW!!! I loved this DNA presentation! Ancestry DNA makes so much more sense now! Awesome!!
About the authors:
Geoffrey D. Rasmussen is the father of four budding genealogists. He graduated with a degree in Genealogy and Family History from Brigham Young University and has served as director and vice-president of the Utah Genealogical Association. He is a dynamic genealogy speaker on all forms of genealogy technology, and as host of the Legacy Family Tree webinar series, has spoken virtually to nearly 100 different countries. He has authored books, videos, articles, and websites, and develops the Legacy Family Tree software program. On a personal note, Geoff enjoys playing the piano, organ, cello, basketball and bowling. His favorite places are cemeteries, the ocean, and hanging out with other genealogists. He met and proposed to his wife in a Family History Center. He is the author of the recently-released, Kindred Voices: Listening for our Ancestors, and the popular books Legacy Family Tree, Unlocked! and Digital Imaging Essentials.
A microbiology graduate, Diahan Southard worked before and after graduation for the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation. Growing up with the budding genetic genealogy industry lead her to her current position as Your DNA Guide, where she provides personalized, interactive experiences to assist individuals and families in interpreting their genetic results in the context of their genealogical information. Diahan's lectures are always fun, upbeat, and full of energy. She has a passion for genetic genealogy, a genuine love for people, and a gift for making the technical understandable.