In this webinar, Legacy’s Geoff Rasmussen will demonstrate what to do with a city directory as he adds the information to his real, personal Legacy family file. This class will be presented live and unscripted, giving attendees a first-hand look at how a professional genealogist analyzes and records information from a city directory found at Ancestry.com. You will get the insider’s perspective of using the Source Clipboard, custom events, AKAs, the To Do List, timelines, and much more.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on December 13, 2016. 1 hour 37 minutes, plus 3 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
About the author:
- Although I have used City Directories before, I thoroughly enjoyed the webinar and learned a great deal. Thanks.
- Always excellent, and fun and friendly too! Thanks!
- Always fun to see what Goeff finds on the live webinars! Thanks for sharing with us!
- Always informative in easy style!
- Always learn so much from your Live webinars. Thanks again!
- Always like Geoff's live webinars.
- Awesome!!! Opened my eyes to so many possibilities.
- enjoy watching his presentations - I only use a small portion of Legacy but the presentations encourage me to use more!
- Excellent Geoff!
- Excellent, and looking forward to Legacy 9
- Excellent. Very informative. Good live production Geoff
- Fantastic - I've used directories often, but this has given me lots of new ideas. Thanks
- First time on a webinar with Geoff. It was unscripted and he was fabulous! Loved his personable approach. He also did well by being both the moderator and host, so great at multi-tasking! I'll be back for more webinars from him.
- Geoff, thanks for sharing your process on adding records. It helps to see how someone else works and appreciate that you explained your reasoning for using Directory vs Residence facts. That does make it more clear cut as a residence fact could even come from a address told to you or from a letter.
- Great examples. I will be trying city directories in my research tonight.
- Great webinar! Always enjoy the Geoff Live webinars. I found the 1912 and 1919 directories for Milwaukee on archive.org. I have tons of names for that area. Thanks :)
- Great webinar! Really enjoyed it and learned a lot about different ways to search city directories and other places to find them! :)
- I always enjoy watching Geoff unscripted. Its a good way to learn, step by step. Thank you.
- I enjoy Geoff's live webinars, I love the Legacy how-to information.
- I learned so much about city directories - I have only looked at a couple, but am motivated to do more searches.
- I like when Geoff explains why he is entering information in one way versus another, as in the reference as a Directory event versus a Residence event. Being new to genealogy, I certainly am not able to think thru the ramifications of doing things one way or another, so this type of discussion helps me get better at thinking of downstream consequences of options i choose.
- I love seeing how Geoff uses Legacy. It causes me to think about the way I have my files organized.
- I love these webinars - always well done and very informative. Thanks!
- I love watching you work thru the research and data entry process. Very helpful.
- I love learning more about using Legacy. Can't wait for the #hashtags#. Thanks for adding this extra webinar, Geoff.
- It interesting to see how much you can get from city directories. I have the 8.0 free version of Legacy without all the bells and whistles. I have yet to utilize all that it offers. Thanks for the webinar.
- it is always a pleasure watching your webinars. Thank you :)
- It was GREAT...learned how to search the city directory and cite sources while researching...great step by step instructions! Thank You...
- I've been using city directories for a few years now. Found several relatives in Berlin, Germany and Danzig, Poland directories. Appreciate the instructions for entering the info into the Legacy program. Thank you, Geoff!
- love the "Watch Geoff live!
- love the step by step real time approach
- Love the Watch Geoff Live webinars!
- Love these unscripted webinars.
- Loved it. Thanks!
- Loved the demo on how to easily add this data to my Legacy tree.
- Really enjoyed it! Thanks.
- source citations have always been difficult for me. This webinar has cleared up some of the confusion
- Super , as usual.
- Thanks, Geoff! Your live webinars continue to give me on-the-job training as well as sparks other ideas or ways to extend & accomplish my genealogy research.
- That was fun ... I love old directories. There are so many available, and it takes a lot of time to enter one per year, but informative, w lots of clues to a family and their lives all summed up w cryptic abbreviations ... occupation, student, names, children/other lines of the family, addresses of business and home, rented or owned, etc., etc. Some folks watch tv for thrills; I delve into life "as it was".
- This learn as you go was MOST informative!! I need to check to see what you've done with learning to use Legacy. I like this format.
- This was a fun webinar. I especially liked the hashtag preview.
- This was my first live webinar. It was very helpful. Thanks!!!
- Very well presented and thorough in coverage of the subject matter.
- was great to finally be able to attend a live webinar - this was interesting and helpful
- Watch Geoff Live webinars are my most-est favorites. Thanks Geoff !!!
- Well done. I love Live with Geoff, so informative.
- woo hoo
- WOW.... Love the #tag option. Great information. And again so glad I change to Legacy Family Tree from FTM.
- You pack so much in to these - it makes my head spin! Love it!!!
Geoffrey D. Rasmussen is the father of four budding genealogists. He graduated with a degree in Genealogy and Family History from Brigham Young University and has served as director and vice-president of the Utah Genealogical Association. He is a dynamic genealogy speaker on all forms of genealogy technology, and as host of the Legacy Family Tree webinar series, has spoken virtually to nearly 100 different countries. He has authored books, videos, articles, and websites, and develops the Legacy Family Tree software program. On a personal note, Geoff enjoys playing the piano, organ, cello, basketball and bowling. His favorite places are cemeteries, the ocean, and hanging out with other genealogists. He met and proposed to his wife in a Family History Center. He is the author of the recently-released, Kindred Voices: Listening for our Ancestors, and the popular books Legacy Family Tree, Unlocked! and Digital Imaging Essentials.