Chances are, if you have spent any time at all working to compile your family history, you have run into difficulty finding at least one elusive relative & maybe even several of them! Within the genealogy community this experience is commonly referred to as a "brick wall."¯ Some of brick walls may seem impossible to solve, today. However, as my mother often told me, "Nothing in life is impossible, some things just take a little longer to accomplish than others."¯ Learn how to approach and solve seemingly complex problems by becoming a "Genealogy Detective"¯.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on December 7, 2016. 1 hour 47 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
About the author:
- Absolutely superb. Not being skilled in using a computer and having "Jillions" of notes and folders for each individual, I am encouraged to see how wonderful a spread sheet would be to organize it all. I think the example of the personal case study helps to visualize how this works. Thanks a bunch.
- Also loved the after party!
- An excellent class using several approaches, all related, towards making rational thinking for the genealogical research.
- Another great webinar! So much in it, will watch it again, maybe more than once! Hope you have a follow up on her researching and have her as a speaker again. Thanks :)
- Effective way to organize a thorough search.
- Enjoyed her logical approach!
- Enjoyed the speaker and after party commentary
- excellent appreciate the case study
- Excellent presentation by Sharon. Love the After parties!
- Excellent presentation. Lots of suggestions. I was very interested in timelines which is something I often fail to take into account.
- Excellent searching tips! Loved Geoff's after webinar party, too!
- Excellent speaker and excellent information conveyed! Loved this webinar and will definitely be able to use this information in my future genealogical research.
- Excellent webinar to refresh your research skills. After awhile I seem to forget some of those steps
- Excellent. Like her process.
- Gave me renewed interest and new directions to try to break my 'brick wall'.
- Good info. Good refresher for those of us stuck.
- Good presentation and example. Loved the after-party covering timelines, adding pre-included timelines, to do list, research log, children's list options and more. I'll be watching again.
- Good review for me. Need to work on the "patience" element
- Good speaker who keeps your interest. Gives me the incentive to start reviewing my data and incorporating a timeline along with checking other resources.
- Great clues on setting up a process to do research.
- Great, logical presentation! Excellent information.
- Helpful info...especially appreciated her running through a 'real life example' to demonstrate the various approaches
- I always learn something new at a Legacy webinar. I loved the research process and the example at the end.
- I like the Resource List
- I love any information that is shown "step by step"
- I really like Sharon's RESEARCH PLAN RECORDS LIST. I'm sure I'll use it. Thanks, too, for the great after-webinar party. I LOVE seeing these great features demonstrated. Again, thanks.
- I think Sharon was the best presenter that I have watched.
- It was nice to see a different way to look at doing research
- Learned lots! Esp. the importance of the 3 Ps. Thnx
- My first webinar with Legacy (yeah, I know, should have been doing them all along). Thank you, Geoff. I learned a lot just listening/watching the after stuff. Now I know how to turn off potential problems when I have resolved them. And how to link direct line etc. Need to spend more time working on the program and learning its capabilities.
- Nice Job Sharon! I especially liked your focus on timelines!
- ONe of the best yet - real nuts-and-bolts without bogging down into examples.
- Outstanding presentation with organized, insightful methodologies and recommendations. Thank you, Sharon and Geoff.
- Really helpful. Especially liked the Research Plan Records List table. Thanks for the great year of webinars!
- Really motivating!
- Reminded me to go back to some areas I should do more research; like the Quaker records. Thanks again for the after party.
- REsearch plan very valuable. Thanks
- Sharon outlined a great process. Was very helpful
- She's so well organized! Wish I had seen this webinar about 35 years ago!!
- So much information shared, that I will definitely be rewatching this one and taking lots and lots of notes!! Easier to pause and write out notes in the rewatch.
- So much wonderful information. Especially like the thought process examples. Great review to what I already know I should be doing (but don't always) as well as several things I wouldn't have thought about. A must watch again and again webinar.
- The AFTER PARTY was the BEST yet! Thanks, Geoff!
- There was so much good information, I couldn't write fast enough. This one I will watch again for sure. Thank you.
- This was a good reminder to be more methodical with my research. I am sure I duplicate my efforts all too often. Thanks for the great reminder and system.
- Very helpful, especially the way she did the time lines, and used the chronology bit from Legacy. Thank you for a great presentation.
- Very well organized. Content was well structured, followed by a relevant example. Susan did a wonderful job of holding one's attention. Well paced. After-party was very informational as well!
- Well presented. Organized. Awesome syllabus!! Like the addition of her xcell files. Again, Thanks to Legacy for presenting such interesting and helpful webinars. Hate to miss any of them so am a member so I can go back and vew if I miss one.
An avid genealogist since 1980, Sharon is passionate about genealogy research and sharing the excitement of the pursuit of family history with others to help them find "their personal connection to history."¯ Sharon launched her genealogy business; It's All Relatives in 2012, after retiring from a life-time career in sales and marketing. She is a popular speaker and teacher of "how to"¯ genealogy classes who thrives on sharing the excitement of genealogy, coaching other family history researchers and performing genealogy research for clients. In addition to authoring the newly released book, The P.E.O. Founders' Scrapbook, Sharon has authored Legacy QuickGuides: Unraveling Brick Wall Mysteries, Cemetery Research, Understanding US Vital Records and Ephemera: Genealogy Gold.