We all have an aunt or a grandmother that has a shoebox full of obituaries, funeral cards, or other old documents that sit on a dresser or closet shelf. Or, perhaps we are that person with the shoebox. These beginning genealogy sessions will show how to take what you know and what you have access to, and teach the steps involved in getting it organized and compiled into a useful genealogy that can benefit future generations.
Session 2 - Using Compiled Sources. There are many opportunities to view what has been researched before. Some of those collections include compiled genealogies and heritage books, and online compilations. We will look at some ways to discover if the previous research is credible and can aid in our own family history research.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on May 6, 2015. 1 hour 51 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
Comments from Peggy's last webinar:
Click here for all of Peggy's webinar downloads.
- So enjoyable, & a great presentation manner too. The time flew by. Geoff's After Webinar Party was really informative too. thank you!
- Another good webinar and the after parties have added a whole new dimension since I am new at sourcing and using Legacy 8!!!! I have just been a gatherer of research and am now trying to do my citing of sources and starting out all new!!!
- ANOTHER great Webinar - and just love Geoff's "after Webinar parties" as he demonstrates the various features of Legacy that are relevant to the day's Webinar.
- Another great, fun and interesting webinar from Peggy!
- As always a wonderfully given webinar. I learn about so many new places to search for information. Look out brick walls!
- Beyond Excellent!!!
- Delightful teacher who clearly explains the content, keeping me interested the whole time.
- Even though I'm not a beginner I learned some new things! Thanks. Great webinar.
- Excellent webinar. I always learn from each one. Thank you to Legacy.
- Excellent!!! Peggy's webinars are wonderfully earthy and informative. She's wonderful! Love the after webinar party with Geoff also!
- Fabulous speaker!
- Great ideas - really motivating me to get better organized and to use these resources to perform a better search. Thanks for ideas in Ohio and Pennsylvania and the wiki ideas, gen web, and ancestry, as well as FamilySearch. Not overwhelming, but extremely informative and ties in so many of the other webinars I have watched.
- Great new information even for non-beginners! (Yellow!!!!!)
- Great pacing - I could jot down all my notes and great organization and examples. I enjoyed it, even being an experienced researcher -- I learned a bit more!
- I always learn something from you. So exciting and enjoyable. Thank you so much for this information.
- I am experienced but, as usual, I picked up even more! So well done.
- I have been going genealogy for several years, and I am so glad I registered for this. I learned a lot, and had quite a few laughs :)
- I have never laughed so hard. Your spirits had to lift listening to Peggy. Excellent webinar.
- I heart Legacy webinars. Always learn so much. Only "negative" ... now I have a 5-page "to do" list based on all these great tips LOL
- I LOVE Webinar Wednesdays!
- I love Peggy's sense of humor! And her organization and presentation of material is outstanding and easy for me to follow! Can't wait for next class.....
- I love, love love Peggy. The only problem - I want to spent even more time working on my genealogy.
- I will never miss a Webinar with Peggy. I learned so much to do with my Do-Over that I am now working on. Very relaxed now after all my laughing !!! Fun Webinar...
- Love Peggy's attitude. She comes up with some funny lines making searches enjoyable. Thx for the After Party...very helpful & educational
- Loved her sense of humor and the tip about yellow!
- Loved her stories, laugh and side comments
- Not just for beginners! So glad I listened, regardless of the title. Peggy's webinar was informative and delightful. Peggy mentioned sources and techniques I'd never heard of. Her personal stories added context and charm to the presentation.
- One of the best yet.
- Peggy covers all the bases in a attention-grabbing and humorous way for beginners as well as seasoned genealogists!
- Peggy is a very knowledgeable speaker. She is able to capture one's attention and interest throughout the presentation. Thank you
- Peggy is always so much fun to listen to, and you do learn things each webinar she presents. What a gem she is.
- Peggy is great, fun, enthusiastic, and totally loves what she is doing. I could learn more from her just having a conversation. She drops little tidbits of information very easily and smoothly. Great teacher!! Great genealogist, researcher, and lecturer!! Keep her coming back for more webinars!!!
- Peggy is knowledgeable and entertaining the the best combination for an engaging teacher.
- Peggy is very entertaining and I have to be on my game taking notes to get information that will help me research my people...She is a hoot!
- Peggy was very informative and definitely entertaining. She is an enthusiastic educator.
- Peggy's INTRO series is something I look forward to these days. Thanks for the post-webinar Legacy instructions.
- She had some terrific suggestions and a dynamic delivery style. Really enjoyed, and learned a lot. Will be using several of her ideas: yellow plastic sheet, and several websites.
- She is wonderful! It's so nice to laugh while you learn!
- So fun - still picturing her rolling down a hill holding onto a grave marker... and her sisters just worrying about the marker being OK.
- This was one of those Wow webinars. I have doing research for over 15 years and teach a Beginner's Class each year in my local genealogy society. I learned some new things! Thanks Peggy and Geoff.
- Today's webinar was very good. The presenter is truly a professional that knows how to deliver expert subject matter instruction on Genealogy Education. Peggy is just awesome; she held my attention for the entire session.
- Well organized, relevant examples, clear communication, lively presentation, excellent tips.
- Wonderful, even for someone that has been at it for decades!
About the presenter:
Peggy Clemens Lauritzen, AG, was involved in genealogy before she was even born. The daughter of avid genealogists, she was spending time in courthouses and cemeteries while other children were playing on swings and going to the beach. The love of her family’s history has never left her. With her experience as a former Family History Director, she is a frequent speaker at genealogical societies, workshops, seminars, and webinars where she loves bringing genealogy to life. Some of those would include The Ohio Genealogical Society, The Ohio State University, Brigham Young University, and many other state and local genealogy societies. She has recently completed several Legacy QuickGuides on Appalachia, which are also available on www.legacyfamilytree.com