We all have an aunt or a grandmother that has a shoebox full of obituaries, funeral cards, or other old documents that sit on a dresser or closet shelf. Or, perhaps we are that person with the shoebox. These beginning genealogy sessions will show how to take what you know and what you have access to, and teach the steps involved in getting it organized and compiled into a useful genealogy that can benefit future generations.
Session 1 - Getting Started on the Right Foot. All of us know at least a bit of information about our family. It may be something we have heard, or something we have and don't know how it can help us. We will start out learning about information from an obituary, and entering the facts into the Legacy Family Tree software.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on April 1, 2015. 1 hour 48 minutes, plus 5 pages of handouts.
- A lot of good information that I needed when I first started, but never too late to do it now. Good info that I will share with the family so they can record their own information which can be used by someone else doing research years from now.
- A very enjoyable and fun webinar with a knowledgeable presenter. It was full of hints and tips. I learned so much, such as why to use capitals for surnames, packing for research trips, leaving a card at a grave to try to contact relatives. Already looking forward to the second webinar.
- Absolutely fantastic! So easy to understand. I'm glad she is coming back.
- Although I've been researching for years, there was a ton of good tips I'll be using. Thanks
- Although not new to genealogy I enjoyed your presentation, especially the hint about leaving a contact card on a bouquet at the cemetery.....genious. NEVER STOP LEARNING. Thanks
- Am an advanced researcher and I very much enjoyed listening to Peggy today! She had many suggestions for all of us and very smooth presentation. Looking forward to hearing her again!
- As usual, I learned a lot today even though I have been researching a long time. She is a very pleasant speaker and a good teacher. Thank you
- Awesome, thank you! love the after webinar party's too. Always a favorite. Glad to have you back, Geoff!
- Been doing Genealogy for 60 years and it was great to have a refresher. You don't know what you forgot you knew.
- Enjoyable, friendly and informative. Well done.
- Even those of us who have been doing this a while, often forget to do some of the basics. Great reminders. And, there's always something NEW to learn at every webinar, no matter what your skill level! Looking forward to Episode 2 of 3.
- Even though I am an advanced Legacy user, I learned soooo much and intend to use as much of the information Peggy put forward as I can...
- Even though I consider myself intermediate I enjoy hearing simple ways to encourage others to start and how to explain why I do what I do. Thanks
- Excellent She is an awesome teacher. Looking forward to her next webinar.
- Excellent introductoryWebinar. I've been doing genealogy for about 10 years and still found it informative. I had recommended it to several genealogy newbie friends.
- Excellent! I could listen to her every day! I loved her filing system. Can't wait 'til you get this one recorded Geoff so I can see it again!
- Excellent. Always nice to see how someone else organizes their materials. And, I always enjoy the after-webinar party. Thanks for doing those.
- Fun AND informative. I signed up thinking it would be an overview for me, but I learned so many things I can do to make my research more fruitful, interesting, and ENJOYABLE that I'd never even thought of. Looking forward to part 2!
- Good refresher course. Love Peggy's lightness and enthusiasm.
- Great tips for us beginners! Very clearly presented too. Thanks.
- Great webinar, good tips, can't wait for the next one by Peggy!
- Have been doing genealogy since 1999 and picked up a few tips!! She's a great, congenial speaker!! Am glad I joined the webinar!!
- How to organize my records has always been a problem for me. Her file naming system seems to be easy and straight-forward, so I am going to use it.
- I am a new user of Legacy and really appreciated the after-party demo of how to use the site. Thank you for all great information.
- I am not a beginner but am always able to learn from the Legacy webinars. The presentation of this one was most enjoyable and, again, I did learn from it. Thank you.
- I am not a beginner, but I wish I had known all this information when first starting. Excellent and clear presentation. I will sign up for the other two beginning webinars. There surely will be great tips to incorporate in my research as there was today.
- I have been involved for many years. This blew me out of the water. I can hardly wait to begin again - right this time. Thank you. I have been well fed!
- I laughed and even shed a tear. I have learned some new tips. Great presentation, can't wait for the rest.
- I loved Peggy's style of presenting " genealogy" , her stories and her down-to-earth approach. Even though I am not a beginner, I learned a lot and will be back for her seminar again.
- I wish that I had heard a lecture like I heard today when I was first starting. It would have saved me a lot of repitition and time.
- Learned so much. Appreciate her emphasis on getting organized as you begin/before you begin and the warning about people throwing out our info mistaking it for TRASH!!. The after-webinar is great. I am looking forward to getting the software when I retire and have time to really pursue genealogy.
- Lots of good tips. Even a seasoned genealogist can learn something from this webinar.
- Not a beginner but still found it fascinating. Peggy is an outstanding teacher and speaker.
- Not a beginner, but learned enough to help with my Do over. will go back and view again with my wife and pause while I add to my notes. Hope I can make the next two. Glad i subscribe so I won't miss any even if I have another commitment.
- One of the very best, "Getting Started" webinars I've attended. Excellent presenter & speaker.
- Peggy did a great job!! Geoff you are the master at producing webinar.
- Peggy is absolutely the best speaker and informational guide for all genealogists. Thanks Geoff and Peggy!
- Peggy is an absolute delight! That Southern charm is great! I always learn something new at every webinar. Thanks so much.
- Peggy is awesome! She is so very entertaining. I found myself laughing throughout especially since I live 2 hours from any city here in NC where Rednecks and Copper Head snakes are just too many! I just love her stories! She presents Genealogy in such a great, tangible and enjoyable way. She doesn't overload her audience with so much that they are overwhelmed. I really look forward to her next webinar. Legacy Webinars are so great!! Thank you so much!!!
- Peggy was honest and hilarious about her own research!
- She has a soothing, excited voice. I could listen to her all day long. Her teaching style is magnificent. I plan to go over the webinar again to make sure I didn't forget to write anything down. Please have her back again. Thanks!!
- Such lovely stories. There is always something to learn - love the tip about using the "tin foil" reflector when taking grave photos. Thanks for hosting.
- Time just flew by. What a great webinar. Also appreciate Geoff's "after parties" where he shows how to put info from the webinar into Legacy.
- What a wonderful presenter! Will be sure in the future to never miss one of her webinars!
- Wonderful start for beginners and great review for us farther down the path!
- Wonderful, wonderful!! I especially love the after webinar party. Great way to spend a couple hours!
- Wow Wow Wow I am so excited to get started.
About the presenter:
Peggy Clemens Lauritzen, AG, was involved in genealogy before she was even born. The daughter of avid genealogists, she was spending time in courthouses and cemeteries while other children were playing on swings and going to the beach. The love of her family’s history has never left her. With her experience as a former Family History Director, she is a frequent speaker at genealogical societies, workshops, seminars, and webinars where she loves bringing genealogy to life. Some of those would include The Ohio Genealogical Society, The Ohio State University, Brigham Young University, and many other state and local genealogy societies. She has recently completed several Legacy QuickGuides on Appalachia, which are also available on www.legacyfamilytree.com