With the ever expanding digital resources available today we can find evidence of kinship in military records often neglected. Records such as pensions, service records, medical records, and even pension payment records are increasingly available. However, our need to ensure that we conduct “reasonably exhaustive research” required by the Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS) will often times require research in original textual records. This webinar will focus on finding kinship information in both online and textual military records.
This was hosted by the Board for Certification of Genealogists, and was presented to a live webinar audience on September 20, 2016. 1 hour 36 minutes, plus 47 pages of handouts. For more information about the Board for Certification of Genealogists and genealogy standards, visit www.bcgcertification.org.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Amazing syllabus
- An amazing amount of great information! Thank you!
- Answered some of my questions on how to find info on Civil War ancestors.
- Col. Sayre is a wealth of information! I love seeing him at conferences and online. Thank you!
- Excellent presentation with wonderful examples. Incredibly detailed handout, I can't wait to read it.
- Excellent presentation! I am ABSOLUTELY on the road to certification as soon as I complete the Pro Gen Study Group!
- Excellent presentation! I was wanting to get a better handle on military records and this webinar did not disappoint. It was like a was sitting in a Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy class, but at home. Thank you for the 47 page handout!
- Fabulous information. I will have to watch this again to review and take in all the information he presented! The syllabus is also very helpful. Great resource.
- Fantastic knowledge of military records displayed by Mr. Sayres, coupled with an excellent presentation. I will have to review this webinar several times to pick up all the nuances of his briefing. Thank you.
- Great webinar on kinship in military records.
- Great webinar with a wealth of information that would be hard to find on your own!
- Great webinar. Glad to see websites that I can go check out. So much out there that I can just not travel everywhere and work too. :)
- I didn't realize all the great info available thru military records.
- I really enjoyed this in-depth presentation--gave me new ideas for research and methodology. Thanks!
- Lots of excellent information and good pointer to sources to educate myself further on this topic.
- So glad you are "keeping" the BCG webinars on your site. Such a valuable collection of information. Thank you!!
- The very complete syllabus will become part of my research library.
- The webinar was excellent!
- The Webinar was quite interesting. I will take a second listen so I didn't miss anything. Thanks
- There are so many excellent webinars on Legacy that it is hard to say this, but this webinar was probably the best presentation I have seen. The Handout, the numbered slides; most of the slides had complete information; wonderful and specific resources; additional corresponding webinars, etc; perfectly prepared materials; interesting presentation; WOW
- This was seriously the BEST GENEALOGY WEBINAR EVER!!!! Wow - my head is still spinning from all the great info provided!!!
- Very helpful and informative, I had't realized there was such a breadth of records, nor that they would include so much information. Thank you!
- Very informative presentation! The handout is packed full of information. Love it! Thank you, Rick, Geoff and Jean for providing the great webinar.
- While the webinars can sometimes be overwhelming, I am happy to know that I can return and review any that I choose at my leisure. I consider my webinar subscription one of my most valuable possessions.
- Wow! This was an amazing webinar. I will definitely be reviewing this one to help with my military research.
About the author:
Rick Sayre, CG, CGL, FUGA, is a long-time researcher and instructor in genealogical topics. Rick is also a retired colonel having served 31 years in the U.S. Army. He coordinates the Using Maps in Genealogy course at the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research, and instructs in the Advanced Methodology, Techniques and Technology, and Advanced Military courses. Rick and his wife Pam coordinate the advanced land course and Researching in Washington, DC, without Leaving Home offered by the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG) and the advanced land course at Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRIP). Rick co-coordinates with Judy Russell, JD, CG, CGL, the Law School for Genealogists at GRIP and the FHL Law Library course at SLIG. He also lectures at national conferences and presents nationwide seminars. His areas of expertise encompass records of the National Archives, the Bureau of Land Management, and the Daughters of the American Revolution, including military records, land records, using maps in genealogy, urban research, and government documents. Rick is experienced in the localities of western Pennsylvania and Ohio. Rick is also a trustee of the Board for Certification of Genealogists.