While Facebook is the world’s largest online social network with more than 1.2 billion users, did you know that it can be leveraged as a genealogy research “work horse” to help find your ancestors?In this session you’ll go beyond the basics of setting up a Facebook account and simply posting status updates or playing games. The class focus is on developing the following skill set for genealogy research:
- Using the Search function to locate living relatives and others researching your same surnames.
- Locating Facebook Groups and Pages related to your genealogy research, especially geographical locations and specific ethnic groups, as well as surname groups.
- Creating a Facebook Group to facilitate collaboration and participant interaction around a specific genealogy topic such as a Surname Group or a One Place Study Group.
- Creating a Facebook Page to advertise a genealogy society, an event and more.
- Understanding the difference between a Facebook Page and a Facebook Group and why you might use one instead of the other as well as when it is best to use both.
- Protecting your privacy and ensuring an enjoyable Facebook experience when researching genealogy.
1 hour 3 minutes, plus 8 pages of supplemental syllabus materials.
Comments from Thomas' last webinar:
About the author:
- A great webinar and I have a better understanding of Pinterest. Thank you!
- Always great learning with Thomas MacEntee. Thank you Legacy.
- Another great webinar from Thomas and Legacy!
- As a visual learner, it was very helpful to view all the aspects of pinning in real time. Thank you, Thomas.
- As always, Thomas MacEntee presents a lot of information and makes you want to get right into it.
- Awesome! I learned a new skill within the first 10 minutes!
- Better understanding of what Pinterest does and how it works
- Cant wait to set up a Genealogy Research board; and also a board to share ancestor photos.
- Didn't know there were so many different sites. Google - My Maps is something I am going to try. Thanks, Thomas! Great webinar.
- Good job explaining to the few of us who haven't used Pinterest and showing us the possibilities of various other resources
- Have a Pinterest account already and I learned a lot more. I have great ideas.
- I already have a great working knowledge of Pinterest and using Google Maps, but I really loved being introduced to the other sites Thomas covered. Wonderful content within those sites!! Thanks so much. :)
- I have been pinning and have learned so much tonight!! Ideas are just teeming. thank you.
- I have been using Pinterest for quite some time, but had no idea of the other sites. I now have a lot to do! LOL
- I learned quite a bit, although naturally he had to take time to explain the basics. A very good use of my evening!
- I love Thomas's presentations. always so interest ing and informative. He is always (over)prepared. I don't remember him ever being stumped. More MacEntee is always a good thing.
- I really appreciated the exposure to the other tools and the ideas on how to create own images to visually document the family history.
- I see many re-watches of this webinar in my future when working with Pinterest!
- I thought I knew Pinterest. Thomas always teaches more.
- I thoughtit was going to be just Pinterest but there was so much more. Thank you Thomas.
- Learned more about pinning than I thought I would. Thanks.
- Love ANY / EVERY webinar that Thomas does!
- More, more, more. Thomas is probably the best presenter ever!
- One of my fave speakers!!
- The best genealogy webinar/pinterest info I have seen, thank you.
- This was a complete course. Now, I have to study my notes and get started.
- Thomas always does a great job with his presentations. He has a great flow with his information and visual aids. He makes it easily understood as well as create excitement for what he is presenting.
- Thomas gave me so many ideas that I am anxious to start several boards for my genealogy. I also want to look at all of his first to get more info! Thank you!
- Thomas MacEntee is wonderful lecture tonight. He did good job!!! I learned something new. Thanks to him! I will following Thomas MacEntee's Pinterest. AWESOME!!! KUDOS!!! :)
- WOW What a great Webinar. Thomas did it again. And just when I was starting to use Pinterest I get this great Webinar!! Many thanks.
Thomas MacEntee is a professional genealogist specializing in the use of technology and social media to improve genealogical research and as a means of interacting with others in the family history community. Utilizing over 25 years of experience in the information technology field, Thomas writes and lectures on the many ways in which blogs, Facebook and Twitter can be leveraged to add new dimensions to the genealogy experience. As the creator of GeneaBloggers.com he has organized and engaged a community of over 2,000 bloggers to document their own journeys in the search for ancestors.
to view all of Thomas MacEntee's webinar downloads.