We all have some ancestors for whom we have very little information. Perhaps we have a death date or a marriage date and nothing else. In this webinar Marian Pierre-Louis shows you how to expand your research from as little as one single fact. She will use multiple examples to show how even the slightest information can lead to new clues and new resources for your research.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on January 16, 2015. 1 hour 39 minutes, plus 2 pages of handouts.
About the author:
- A brilliant Webinar, very many thanks for giving me so much information on research techniques. Congratulations to all at Legacy!
- A lot of seemingly small hints and sources were given that I never thought about. Intend to further my search using suggestions given.
- A real mind opener.
- Always excellent, today even better! Happy Birthday to Legacy Webinars- they have been a wonderful part of my genealogical learning for many years.
- Always, always, always learn something when I attend one of your webinars.
- Amazing amount of information in a short time! Love Marianne's presentations-she's great.
- Any webinar presented by Marian Pierre-Louis is excellent! Congratulations on 200 webinars! Did you have a cake with 200 candles on top?
- Dear Geoff and Marian, this was a 10 out of 10 one of the best if not THE best webinar. Many many thanks to you both and again, happy 200th!
- Excellent for thinking outside the box. Also enjoyed your 'after party' hints about using Legacy!
- Excellent methodologies, especially for those without much non-genealogical research experience. And - I learned several helpful tips on Legacy in the after-party!
- Excellent webinar -- great process for thinnking outside the box. Really helpful! Congratulations on the 200th webinar!
- Extremely informative. Gets your "wheels" working outside the box, so to speak. Love your webinars and what an inexpensive helpful tool for a years subscription to be able to go back and review any webinar that you want. Thank You.
- Extremely well presented; logical; great sources for think-out-of-the box recommendations - great for experienced and new genealogists alike. Loved the various resource book links - periodicals, historical reference books, etc. Phenomenal 200th!
- Fabulous overview of how to connect new genealogy information based on each fact found. Loved how the speaker discussed understanding events ongoing in the area.
- Fantastic! I love the ideas on not only how to learn more genealogical details about my ancestors, but also how to broaden the picture I have of their lives.
- Great ideas, Marian! Thanks and happy 200th, Geoff!
- Great presentation. It was the first time I stayed for the after party. I use Family Tree Maker but now Legacy is making me think about changing.
- Great tips. Geoff - you showing us how to integrate the webinar's suggestions into Legacy is wonderful! Besides reinforcing the webinar topic, it gives us the practical application and next step so many of us need to do after researching. Thanks.
- Great to hear someone speak of the creative-thinking needed in genealogy!
- great webinar, this opens up a whole new way of looking at some of the details I know on my brickwalls
- I appreciated the suggestion to begin thinking differently in my research. This fresh approach will come in very handy when attacking my brick walls.
- I have always been pretty opened minded in my research and have found many things that have escaped some others because of it. Thanks to you today I became even more so. You gave me much to consider in future endeavors. Thanks again and good luck to you in your researching.
- I really like webinars like this...lots of ideas to help us think "outside the box". I also REALLY enjoy the extra LEGACY tips and suggestions afterwards. Thanks so much. Happy 200th!
- I think this should be one of the must-sees for anyone taking on genealogical research. Extremely well structured and presented. By using the "one-fact" approach, Marian really teaches what good research is about, how to find and use clues one might otherwise ignore and how to avoid guesswork while building toward solid info, bit by bit. Great advice to open up one's thinking and use "non-genealogy" sources. Great way to provide both context and more clues, and make our ancestors come alive for us.
- It is always a pleasure to hear a presentation by Marian Pierre-Louis. I have never attended a bad presentation of hers nor from any of your other presenters for that matter. Thanks so much for doing this. See you at RootsTech and I hope to see Marian at NERGC.
- Marian never disappoints. She is organized, detailed,, covers the topic well, has useful slides, and is friendly and clear-spoken in the process. The only thing that would improve would be to have more presentations by her - but I know that she is already plenty busy.
- Marion is always spectacular. This webinar was her best yet!
- Marion's example of researching with 'only having a name' was very timely for me. I have a mysterious baptismal sponsor that is a brick wall because I only have a name. Thanks to Marian I have many new ideas and feel more confident that I will find her. Love the American Decade books she suggested. Travel safe and thanks for hosting.
- Over the top Webinar. A great way to celebrate the 200th. Very useful information.
- She is one of the very best of those who give these webinars. Thank you very much--this webinar was excellent, as always.
- Outstanding speaker, and outstanding slides to illustrate her points! And I not only learned some new-to-me concepts and sources, I had fun - what more do we want with a genealogy webinar, eh?! Merci!!
- This was a fantastic webinar. Not only is Marian a well organized and logical speaker, but she chose a novel topic today. I found her step by step approach very useful and plan to heed her encouragment to think outside the box of traditional records. Great 200th webinar!
- Very informative webinar. as always. I also like the after-party with Geoff. Happy 200th webinar, keep up the good work. I never expected to learn so much on Genealogy and other things...
- Very informative. It demonstated the value of pausing, reflecting on what you know, how you know it, and then planning a logical search strategy. This saves hours of wasted time just throwing yourself into a tangled jungle of genealogical resources.
- What a great "200th" webinar. My thanks to both Geoff and Marian. Marian gave me several ideas of where else I can check with only knowing a little information.
- Wonderful set of logical steps for using single facts as a starting point. Enjoyed both the pre- and after-party info as well. Great learning tools and tips!
Marian Pierre-Louis is a genealogical writer and speaker who specializes
in southern New England research (Connecticut, Rhode Island, and
Massachusetts). Born and raised in Connecticut, she has lived in
Massachusetts for almost 20 years. Marian has three generations of
recent family ties to Rhode Island and also links to some very old Rhode
Island lines. As a result, these three states have become the focus of
her research activity. Unlike most genealogists, Marian is spoiled to
spend most of her time working with original records. You will most
often find her researching at a town hall, registry of deeds, probate
court or the local cemetery. Itís a rare day that Marian has to sit in
front of a microfilm reader.
Marian is actively engaged in social
media. You can find her starting conversations on Facebook, Twitter
and Google+. She frequently speaks on New England topics including house
history research, social media, African American research and a broad
range of genealogical topics. She is the author of several blogs
Her website is www.FieldstoneHistoricResearch.com.