Developing the skills necessary to produce work that meets the Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS) takes time and effort. This presentation will highlight some of the educational options that are helpful in learning about each element of the GPS including thorough research, citations, evidence analysis, written conclusions; as well as each element of the application portfolio. The goal is to both understand and be able to meet genealogy standards. There are many educational paths to choose from, and both formal and independent study options will be discussed.
This was hosted by the Board for Certification of Genealogists, and was presented to a live webinar audience on October 18, 2016. 1 hour 14 minutes, plus 10 pages of handouts. For more information about the Board for Certification of Genealogists and genealogy standards, visit www.bcgcertification.org.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- All wonderful suggestions for areas of study. Looking forward to more educational study.
- Angela did a nice job of laying out options and then coordinating the options with the GPS.
- Angela did a tremendous job of telling us about many, many opportunities available to prepare for the certification process. I received so much useful information. Great job, Angela!
- Angela gave a very informative seminar covering lots and lots of educational opportunities. Her steps to certification were well explained. Thank you!
- Comprehensive, concise and well-organized. Thanks!
- Excellent presentation! Lots of solid information. Excellent presenter, clear, concise and energetic. So well done.
- Excellent presentation. Very organized and stuffed full of info. THANKS!
- Excellent! Love that she listed specific sources to consult. What a help that is!
- Extremely informative.
- Good handout & a lot of good materials to review. Thanks.
- Great information. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to learning from many of the resources mentioned.
- Great prep guide and tips.
- I have learned that there is a LOT to learn!
- It is very clear now that I have a lot of information to choose from.
- It was good to hear about what is needed to become certified. I am taking genealogy classes through BYU Idaho.
- I've been considering certification for several years and each year I haven't done it, the standards have drastically increased. Love hearing what I should be doing (and what I'm already doing "right") to become certified. Keep these amazing webinars coming!
- Lots of great information and resources. I will be very busy, but prepared!
- She did so much work to prepare this - I really appreciated her crowdsourcing advice. GREAT overview of the process and wonderful resources!
- Solid coverage that kept my attention on an inherently dry topic.
- Thank you for the informative webinar with your many resources and syllabus.
- The list of educational opportunities to assist in preparing you for certification is absolutely the greatest. Thank you for compiling it and providing it to us as part of the syllabus.
- The presenter was very knowledgeable, thorough, well organized and a clear communicator.
- This really clarified the process for certification and the resources available to help someone achieve the goal of certification.
- This was a very useful webinar with lots of great suggestions for study. Thank you Angela!
- This was helpful and gave a lot of good insights into how to prepare for certification. Happy to know I'm on the right path!
- This was really so well done. Very informative and comprehensive in explaining all the different paths towards certification. Thank you!
- This was very helpful in distilling what is required and how to make it more manageable (and less intimidating). I might still rewatch the webinar because so very much in it. Love, love the handout!! Thanks for the amount of work that went into it!
- Very helpful to clarify an educational path, whether I ever go for certification or not.
- Very helpful. I have attended numerous lectures and webinars and read a lot of the suggested books but hadn't thought of taking it step by step, utilizing a variety of resources as I address each element in order to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the concept. I think this approach will work well for me. Great handout that will keep me busy for some time to come!!! Thanks.
- Wonderful presenter, she was easy to listen to and follow! Also great content!
About the author:
Angela Packer McGhie is the coordinator for the Intermediate Genealogy course at the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research, and the coordinator of the Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy. She served as the administrator of the ProGen Study Program from 2008-2014 and is now on the board of directors. Angela is an instructor at the Genealogical Institute on Federal Records, the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, and the Virtual Institute on Genealogical Research. Angela has served on the education committee of the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) and is the past president of the National Capital Area Chapter of APG. She is a contributing author for the APG Quarterly and was honored with a formal certificate of appreciation from the Association of Professional Genealogists for her leadership and service.