Do you have ancestors from the Netherlands? This webinar introduces you to the most important records and shows you what you can find online, even if you don't know any Dutch. Learn how naming traditions and emigration patterns can help you find your Dutch ancestors.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on September 16, 2015. 1 hour 32 minutes, plus 10 pages of handouts.
- Absolutely OUTSTANDING. Would love to hear another webinar from her. Will sign up for her newsletter and check out her website. Definitely inspired me to start researching my ancestors from the Netherlands.
- All of your webinars are excellent!
- Another great Webinar. Always learn so much, especially about resources. The TEN page syllabus is amazing. Thanks so much for these Webinars. Am in my third membership year and am enjoying everything.
- Best syllabus ever!
- Best webinar I've attended so far!
- Didn't know I had Dutch ancestors -- turns out I do -- but knowing the difference betwixt "Holland" and "The Netherlands," made this one very worthwhile. ;-)
- Eventhough I'm an avid follower of Yvette's blog, I still learned things I didn't already know. On things I did know, the presentation reinforced and clarified some things. It was helpful to watch her going through the searches and clicking on the links since on some of the sites, I wasn't previously sure where I needed to go since the information was in Dutch many times. I really hope she has time to do another one that's more advanced. Great webinar.
- Excellent info and presentation! Thanx, Yvette & Geoff! Also, Happy Fifth Anniversary! Love your webinars!
- Excellent presentation. A great addition to your roster of speakers.
- Excellent...best one yet. Pace was great, examples were helpful without too much detail on her own family...thanks!
- Fantastic to learn so much in such a short time!
- Fantastic webinar. I look forward to using the new information in my Dutch research.
- Feel like I finally know enough to start trying to find my Dutch ancestors! Very helpful!
- Got me excited to get going on my husband's Dutch line that I have been ignoring.
- Great info I knew nothing about the Dutch except influence in New york!
- Great syllabus and very helpful information!
- Great webinar and a super syllabus. Most of my Dutch ancestors came and some even founded New Netherlands. Now I have a better idea how to go about doing more research on them. Thanks so much!!
- Great webinar! Bring her back again. Sorry I had to miss the last few minutes. Happy 5th anniversary to Legacy webinars! Love the webinars.
- I don't know of any Dutch ancestry, but I do wind up helping people with varied heritages. Not only learning the different ways the various presenters approach the FAN club researching, but also the unique resources each one brings to the table makes the Legacy Webinars an important part of my Research Toolbox!
- I have a lot of Dutch ancestry as early as the early 1900's and late 1800's! This was VERY helpful and I hope to see her speak more on this topic! Very helpful and it has given me that zeal to try the search again!
- I have been doing genealogy for may years but learmed a lot from I have been doing genealogy for many years but learned a lot from this webinar. Thanks
- I thoroughly enjoyed the webinar. I've learned a lot about Dutch names and software that I didn't know existed. I hope to attend more webinars in the future.
- It is wonderful how individauls are prepared to render their knowledge to us in these the latter-days. Such discussions did not surface in earlier years. Thank You for allowing these webinars to teach the descendants of these noble ancestors, who with faith came to new lands to settle and to raise their children.
- My Dutch ancestors went to South Africa and while I have locations where they came from in The Netherlands attempts to find info has been very difficult. This webinar has encouraged me to keep going. Much appreciated.
- One of the best ever offered by Legacy.
- Outstanding information. I already knew about weiwaswei but especially excited about information on the additional documents that you can find for those records
- So little time - so much info. Will have to study the recording to get it all. Great webinar!
- So many new sources, wow.
- This may help me with my Danish Ancestors. Love the Syllabus, especially the Translations.
- This was an eye-opener! I have researched FHL and found some valuable information on my family, but now I see possibilities for going back a generation or two. Many thanks.
- This was EXCELLENT!!! First time I've heard anything about Dutch research. I'll be contacting Yvette. Her handout is just wonderful and I REALLY appreciate it. Hopefully, I'll solve some of my remaining VanSteenbergh challenges now. Thanks, Yvette! And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Thank you, too, Geoff.
- Very clear presentation. I think I even picked up enough Dutch terminology to do basic searches!
- Very helpful seminar for us with Dutch Ancestors. I have done some research myself in the past, but now that I know so many good tips; I can hardly wait to access these sites again. dankjewel
- Very informative! I'll probably be up all night looking at WieWasWie now! ;-)
- Very knowledgeable, polished presenter. A fast-paced, in-depth presentation.
- Wonderful, knowledgeable presenter. She made researching The Netherlands less intimidating. Would love to hear from her again!
- Wonderfully informative and engaging! I already know much about my grandmother's family who came in 1882, but this gives me the courage to seek those original records to see for myself. Thank you for this!
- Yvette gave a great overview of Dutch genealogy research. It was very easy to understand and follow as well as very thorough. I especially like hearing the correct pronunciation for places and things that I've read for many years.
- Yvette was a fantastic speaker and educator! Thanks!! Learned alot!
- Yvette was wonderful! I learned a lot about Dutch records. My hubby has Dutch ancestors but I was reluctant to tackle them. Now I feel like I can get a good start thanks to this webinar.
- Yvette's presentation was wonderful and comprehensive for beginning to intermediate Dutch researchers. Thank you for having her!
About the author:
Yvette Hoitink is a genealogist, lecturer and writer in the Netherlands who helps people from all over the world find their Dutch ancestors. She studied Computer Science and Management Studies at the University of Twente. Before pursuing her genealogy career, Yvette had her own IT company specializing in providing online access to historical information and worked as a project manager for the National Archives in The Hague. She wrote a book about internet genealogy and presented her Dutch emigration research at international conferences. Yvette serves on the Board of Directors of the Association of Professional Genealogists (2015-2016). Visit her website at http://www.dutchgenealogy.nl.