What we donít know about copyright law can hurt us Ė right in the pocketbook! Hereís a guide to the most common mistakes and misunderstandings about copyright and what we can and canít do with materials created by others in our family research.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on June 27, 2014. 1 hour 27 minutes. Plus 8 pages of handouts.
- Always a pleasure to listen to Judy!
- Another amazing webinar from Judy. She makes it all so clear. Thank you, Judy!
- As always, Judy Russell is a joy to listen to - speaks clearly, concisely and with enthusiasm!
- As always, Judy was terrific. She gives such good information and backs it up with where to find the law or the regulations for future use. She's makes a tedious subject interesting and entertaining as well as informative.
- Excellent presentation about a complicated subject! Judy Russell is always wonderful to listen to.
- Excellent webinar! Really really helpful. Judy was great, as always!
- Excellent webinar. Judy Russell is excellent instructor, always learn from her webinars. Looking forward to October. Thank you Judy & Geoff & Legacy Family Tree Webinars for these webinars!
- Excellent with lots of good information. I enjoy her positive way of speaking.
- Excellent! Judy really knows her stuff and makes it easier to understand law issues.
- Fantastic presentation witn unbelievable handout!
- Great as always ...very impressive ...teaches respect for fellow man.
- Great Job. Fascinating. Knowing more about this, in spite of the fact that I may have broken some rules along the way with my earlier work, provides me with a lot of peace of mind going forward.
- Her presentation style made what could have been a dry and complicated topic interesting! Thanks, Legacy, for another great Webinar.
- I learned moire than I ever knew about copyright law and realize that many things I thought were "safe" to use are, in fact, not safe. I enjoyed the presentation, the precise information, and especially the pace of it. I could keep up and still take notes, yet it never "dragged." Thank you for a great presentation. If I see a webinar by Judy Russell in the future, I will try my hardest to find the time to join and learn from her wonderful presentation.
- I thought I knew a lot about copyright law but I learned that I didn't know as much as I thought. Excellent webinar!
- I think it ranks right up there as either the most important or one of the most important webinars that has been presented. Judy, you are great! Thank you so much.
- I'm glad that Judy repeatedly gave us the positive way to get the work done. Ask forgiveness; Ask permission. Use Public Domain.
- She's fantastic, of course! Her syllabus could be used as a standard for handouts. Her great sense of timing - phenomenal. And her coverage of the topic - a marvellously accessible one hour experience! She's so good - I'd never miss anything she does. Thanks to Geoff & Legacy for putting on these Webinars.
- Judy is one of the most knowledgable and entertaining speakers in the genealogy world today.
- Judy's great! WOW! This lecture really makes one think about what you're copying. Thanks Judy and Geoff!
- Judy's presentations are wonderful. It's encouraging that so many genealogists are concerned about copyright. Those who heard the presentation today will pass the information on to others. I think everyone wants to do the right thing, once they understand what that is.
- My number one favorite speaker speaking about one of the most difficult topics we genealogists must learn. She spelled it out as best as it can be, gave us some tools to help us in future, and provided food for thought before we use that picture or this article in our own work. I just ask for permission for everything anymore. Helps me sleep better. :)
- Terrific webinar. I have heard many of the Mythconceptions and happy to have them explained and dispelled. Looking forward to Judy's next webinar!
- The BEST Webinar EVER!!!!! I have a lot of work to do with my tree. And I won a prize!!!!!
- Whether in person or via webinar, Judy provides useful information, mesmerizing stories, and gentle humor that are the hallmark of a professional speaker. I can only hope to be as good a speaker in future as she is today.
About the author:
A Certified Genealogist with a law degree, Judy G. Russell is a lecturer, educator and writer who enjoys helping others understand a wide variety of genealogical issues, including the interplay between genealogy and the law. She has a bachelorís degree in political science and journalism from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and a law degree from Rutgers School of Law-Newark. She has worked as a newspaper reporter, trade association writer, legal investigator, defense attorney, federal prosecutor, law editor and, for more than 20 years, Judy has been an adjunct member of the faculty at Rutgers Law School. Judy is a Colorado native with roots deep in the American south on her motherís side and entirely in Germany on her fatherís side.