As we march forward into another year of genetic genealogy much is being discovered about the ways in which we can analyze our autosomal DNA data. There is a hot debate over two seemingly competing ideas: the DNA Circle, or the Triangulation method. The DNA Circle was pioneered by AncestryDNA and relies on small shared segments and complete family trees. The Triangulation method requires a chromosome browser and detailed calculations of shared amounts of DNA. We will cover questions like, Which is the best route to take? Do I need a chromosome browser? How can I use these methods in my own genealogy? Autosomal DNA is an ever changing field, this lecture will cover the latest methods of analysis and interpretation for the non-scientist genetic genealogist.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on June 29, 2016. 1 hour 44 minutes, plus 3 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- A lot of good information, will need to watch it again, maybe more than once. Enjoyed the after party too! Thanks :)
- Able to learn more about DNA and using the results of my tests. Excellent webinar with good easy to understand information.
- Absolutely loved it! I can't wait to try these techniques.
- Absolutely the Best. We need more Diahan DNA Webinars!
- Always love the DNA webinars, I learn so much each time! No break through's but always increased hope as I look through my tree and DNA connections again, she makes things so much clearer!
- Always your best presenter. Please have more webinars with her.
- Amazing how she made something so difficult look easy.
- Cannot get enough DNA webinars! So much to learn and understand, and do, to find our ancestors and cousins.
- Diahan explains everything so clearly - no technical terms, just great presentation.
- Diahan has taken a complicated and technical topic and presented it in a clear and enthusiastic manner such that I am beginning to understand it. Thank you!!!
- Diahan is a a fantastic presenter - her style and ability to explain difficult technical details more simply is amazing and keeps her listeners focused. Makes me want to learn more and do more!
- Diahan really does make technical topics understandable! Thank you for hosting her!
- Diahan Southard ALWAYS does an excellent job of explaining DNA in an understandable way. I understand value of Ancestry circles much better now, especially members who don't actually share DNA with me.
- Diahan Southard is an excellent speaker, with a terrific sense of humor to keep everything from being too "dry", and a wonderful way of making a difficult-to-understand subject actually easy. I listen to her whenever I get a chance.
- Diahan's knowledge and enthusiasm for her subject makes her a joy to listen to. She's very informative and encouraging which is terrific.
- Dianha and Geoff are great
- DNA is so confusing! But this helped a lot. Now I think I know how to proceed.
- DNA tracking isn't as scary as I thought it would be. Thanks Diahan & Geoff!
- Excellent presentation - I can see DNA things much more clearly! Thank you!
- EXCELLENT! Demystified all the jargon I have heard.
- Excellent!!! Thanks so much! I have submitted my DNA sample to AncestryDNA. Sample has been received and in lab processing. Excited! Thanks so much for all available with webinars, etc. Really appreciate the After Party sessions!
- FABULOUS !!! What a great presenter that made DNA subjects more approachable; learned so much today that I am ready to do my first test !
- Fascinating! Now I REALLY want to test my DNA!! Thanks for another great webinar.
- Glad to learn about cm measurements on Ancestry, that little "i"
- Good practical information I can use right away! Great presentation!
- Great amount of info. Glad I'm a subscriber so I can go back and watch it again to maybe pick up what I missed the first time.
- Great presentation and explanations. I thought it was a great idea to poll the audience before getting too deep into the presentation. Will sign up for the webinar next week. Thank you so much.
- Great speaker. Love the down to earth attitude.
- Great topic - very helpful for me. I liked the explanation of TIMBER, the statistical probabilities info, etc.
- Have been working with DNA results for 6 years now and I'm happy to have a bit more clarity because I sure haven't been able to really know what I'm doing . I always have the nagging suspicion that I could get more out of my results if I just knew what to do with them.
- Her slides are a great help in understanding a complicated process. A great class with a great teacher
- I am familiar with DNA so most of the information reinforced what I already knew, but I definitely found several new ideas that I did not know about. Great webinar!
- I appreciate the way that Diane Southard always explains in easy understandable terms. I also appreciate Geoff's after the webinar segment.
- I found creating your own DNA circle or Network very illuminating.
- I thought I had a pretty good handle on this but Diahan made it so much clearer and gave me some good tools. Really looking forward to the gedmatch webinar on Friday!
- It is the best DNA webinar I have seen.
- Lively Conversation. To be or not to be with a Chromosome Browser. We have been taught you have to do DNA with that. That's up for debate. Great Webinar.
- OMG - finally - some real help in using the DNA tools plus more! THANK YOU THANK YOU...easy to follow, not over my head. great simple graphic. PERFECT
- One of the best webinars I have viewed. This was excellent!
- Recommend Legacy over and over and still learning! Diahan Southard is one of the best teachers making a complicated subject understandable.
- She is a pleasure to listen to - her slides are very accessible, and although the content is complicated, she makes it so understandable. Excellent webinar!
- Such a complicated topic, I am so glad I can repeat listening to it and others on the subject. Thank you for the wonderful work Legacy family tree does for us.
- Thanks for this! I am a trained biologist who is managing my half-sis's FTDNA kit. Waiting for my Ancestry results to start processing. Working on ways to get her there, too. The info on how to create your own circles, and the limitations on those at Ancestry were gold! Will be visiting the website for tutorials.
- The graphics of the presentation were excellent and the expertise and enthusiasm of Diahan was evident.
- The information about IBS was helpful and will change the way I've been searching. Thanks!
- This was a wonderful webinar. She made it very easy to understand triangulation & circles. Thank you very much for having it.
- This was excellent. The enthusiasm of the presenter and how she was able to break the subject down to its simplest form, was amazing. Very, very, very well done! Thank you.
- This was the first DNA lecture I have watched that simplified things without being condescending. I feel like I have a better grasp of triangulation and I have attended many DNA classes in the past.
- Very good information - Understood it very well, but can't wait to watch it several more times. Thank you so much!
- Very interesting. I was interested in knowing WHY I should have my genealogical DNA done, and now I know!
- Well presented and enjoyable webinar with clear and to-the-point information and tips - especially for a DNA newbie like myself. Definitely plan on re-watching this presentation when the video has been posted on the Legacy Webinars site to be certain that I didn't miss or forget anything! Thanks so much for this presentation!
- What a marvelous webinar!!!!!!!!!!! Diahan Southard always presents an excellent webinar! Love her little people, too. Thank you very much.
About the author:
A microbiology graduate, Diahan Southard worked before and after graduation for the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation. Growing up with the budding genetic genealogy industry lead her to her current position as Your DNA Guide, where she provides personalized, interactive experiences to assist individuals and families in interpreting their genetic results in the context of their genealogical information. Diahan's lectures are always fun, upbeat, and full of energy. She has a passion for genetic genealogy, a genuine love for people, and a gift for making the technical understandable.