Church records contain a wealth of family history information. Learn what types of records different churches kept, how to determine your ancestorís denomination, and where to locate these important records.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on October 23, 2013. 1 hour 33 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
About the presenter:
- A lot of great info and suggestions! Thanks, Geoff and Mary! Oh, and love the green screen idea!
- Absolutely fabulous!
- Always love Mary's webinars. I knew this was an important record group that I wanted to search but didn't really know what to look for until now. Thanks!
- An absolute wealth of information!!
- Another excellent educational program. Mary Hill is excellent instructor and enjoyed the interactive presentation to other sites to show specific examples. So glad I joined for the yearly Legacy Family Tree Webinars. Thank you for providing them.
- ANOTHER wonderful webinar. Mary Hill is one of the most factual and well organized presenters. I learn so much from her. Thank you, Legacy, for this terrific service to genealogists.
- As always, another top notch webinar!!! I love Legacy Webinars and recommend them to everyone interested in genealogy! Thank you for such a wonderful resource!!
- As always, I've learned too much to absorb in one viewing. So glad I have the subscription.
- Especially helpful to know how to use the OLD Family Search catalog to find things. Thank you!
- Excellent topic & presentation. Great guidance on complicated subject.
- Excellent! I now have another way to search. I didn't realize! Thanks so much!
- Excellent!! And her enthusiasm makes you want to just dig right in. Thank you.
- Extremely well done, thorough. Very helpful directions on where to do research. Many sources new to me were explored. Good speaker. Please ask her back.
- Fabulous presentation, with exceptional resource guidance and pertinent demonstrations.
- Good info. This may help me and others break down some of our brick walls! Thanks!
- Great in-depth information presented by a very experienced genealogist who is a season teacher and presented. Kudos to Mary Hill.
- How can one not love Mary? She is always so informative and so sweet. I learn new ways of researching at each of her webinars. Thank you Mary for all you do to help us find our ancestors!
- I especially liked her showing us step-by-step how to enter the information in the search engines.
- I had found church records intimidating but knew I need to try and area in Texas. I now have an idea how to go about it and all the different sources that are out there. Can't wait to give it a try!
- I just love these webinars from Legacy Family Tree.
- I learned a lot of things that I had not thought of before. Lots of good tips.
- I learned so much that I didn't know about Church records. I will be having some fun the rest of the week.
- Mary always has something that makes you think. I found so many things today that church records could probable solve. Can't wait to see what she has in her next Webinar.
- Mary Hill always does a wonderful job. She is so knowledgeable and presents so well. Her syllabus is always really complete, too.
- Once again there was a lot of information on the subject at hand. I compliment Legacy Family Tree webinars, Geoff and the presenters for giving so much information in their presentations. I am truly hooked on Legacy Family Tree.
- One of the best webinars ever!! Mary Hill is incredible! Thank you so very much.
- OUTSTANDING!!! We will have to rewatch this one in our Membership area to be sure we got all her tips!
- Outstanding. Thank you for helping me see how to move beyond census in search for my family.
- Simple effective search suggestions. I appreciated the background of the church denominations and the map of Europe showing where they started and spread. Thank you.
- So many great ideas and resources to help with my brick walls! I'll need to re watch to fill in the gaps in my notes. I couldn't write fast enough!
- Teaching this old dog new tricks is why I attend these webinars. Learned so much. Thanks for the info Mary & Geoff.
- Thinking about church records being earlier than census or vital records was invaluable to me. I hope church records will help me with a brick wall! I especially appreciated the info on determining the denomination ancestors might have belonged to.
- THANK YOU!!!!
- This was the best webinar, for me, lots of new places to search for records, Thank you so very much. Hopefully this will break through some of the Brick Walls
- Very fascinating and insightful. The live examples of plugging in facts to search is great and appreciated. I can only hope that my brick wall relatives actually did attend church . . .
- Wealth of knowledge for me to use in my searches. I have used very little church information in my 45 years of research. Looking forward to using this valuable resource for all of my brick walls. Thank you so much!
- Wow! Another great webinar from Mary Hill. It is so fortunate that we can benefit from her expertise as a reference librarian! I can hear those bricks falling out of several of my brick walls as I follow the research paths she has scouted for me. Thank you Mary, for sharing your knowledge with us.
- Wow! Very informative. The information about accessing PERSI via Ancestry.com was helpful and clear. Also the using the Beta version of FamilySearch.org. Thanks.
Mary E.V. Hill, MLS, AG (Southern States and Eastern States) CG; worked as reference librarian at BYU from 1989-1992, as genealogy instructor at BYU from 1992-1995, as Family History Library US/Canada Reference consultant from 1995-2006. She served on the UGA Board of Directors from 2006-2008 and as an LDS missionary at the Family History Library from 2006-2008.
She is the author of Saga of a Southern Loyalist: William Riddle of Virginia and North Carolina; Angel Children; Family Roots Organizer Video Series. She is a lecturer with emphasis on U.S. research methods and genealogical organization.
Mary is a mother and grandmother.
to view Mary's other webinar downloads.