This lecture describes the 5 steps of the Genealogical Proof Standard to establish proof of identities and relationships. Shellee will present examples at each step, along with a case study of a complex problem that was solved with research, creativity, attention to detail and a defined process. See how reasonably exhaustive research, accurate citations, analysis and correlation of data, the resolution of conflicting data and a reasoned, written conclusion was used to identify the parents of a Civil War soldier who shaved 10 years off his age and complicated the search for this relationship.
This was hosted by the Board for Certification of Genealogists, and was presented to a live webinar audience on August 16, 2016. 1 hour 30 minutes, plus 2 pages of handouts. For more information about the Board for Certification of Genealogists and genealogy standards, visit www.bcgcertification.org.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Shellee clearly explained the five steps of the GPS to where they were easily understood. Thank you for providing this very informative, free seminar!
- A quantum leap. Thanks, Geoff!
- Although I was very late logging in, I enjoyed the remainder of the webinar immensely and can see the value in beginning the webinar tomorrow and completing it. Very meaningful and interesting. Awesome discussion! I am grateful for the ability to review again when convenient.
- AWESOME!!! Can't wait til the next BCG webinar! Great addition to Legacy, which is, of course, my FAVORITE site on the whole internet! :) Thanks guys
- Awesome, learned a lot! Answered some questions I had too! :)
- Clear speaker who spoke really well with great information. Thank you!
- Congratulations on the partnership!
- Engaging boot camp information -- very good,
- Excellent information, and very well presented. I'm very interested in hearing more BCG webinars with this level of detailed information and examples.
- EXCELLENT presentation!!
- Excellent presentation. I like the fact that Shellee stressed upon evaluating your evidence to see if it makes sense. I see so many people who find a tiny bit of information and run with, especially on Ancestry family trees.
- excellent presenters. So glad that BCG is joining with Legacy for access to their webinars. A great benefit to being a subscriber!
- Excellent review of the standards and HOW they apply in research and analysis! I keep my copy of the GPS right beside me, but it strengthens my ability to use them well and instinctively when they are reinforced by such excellent presentation and examples.
- Excellent webinar! Thank you so much!
- Excellent. I think it's great that BCG is teaming up with Legacy Webinars. I'm a huge fan of collaboration among genealogical entities. Bravo!
- Fabulous as usual!
- Fabulous. I love that Legacy Family Tree Webinars has teamed with the Board for Certification of Genealogists to host the BCG webinar series. Well done!
- First time I've heard (of) Shellee and she's a very professional speaker - no constant ummms and awwws. Thank you for helping me understand more of the GPS. Now to wade through citing which is the overwhelming part for me and a topic of its own. I LOVED the additional input from Jeanne and Rick as well. Thanks for including them. As always thanks Geoff for finding such wonderful topics and presenters.
- Good use of slides for case studies. Excellent speaker.
- Great example of walking through the GPS and then showing a case study. I liked the Q&A with the different perspectives given by the presenter and BCG staff.
- great presentation - helped to clarify how to answer a specific question - just wish there weren't so many of them in my family!!
- I am very impressed by the rigors of the genealogy proof standard and was very pleased to go through each step in the presentation.
- I find case studies very helpful, and I'm so glad Ms. Morehead shared some. I very much appreciate the BCG webinars, and I thank you for offering them.
- I find the webinars put on by Legacy Family Tree to be very helpful to my efforts to build a better genealogy to leave to my descendants. I only wish I had found Legacy and the webinars sooner.
- It was interesting seeing an example of the genealogical research process by a Certified Genealogist. Thank you!
- I've studied the GPS, use it, know it, but every time I hear someone different present it, I get a bit more info and a new perspective. Thank you!! Great presentation.
- One of the best presenters ever!!! Shellee was very professional and so organized. Her case study was fascinating. Thank you!
- Speaker was articulate and knowledgeable. Loved it!
- The discussions on each step were very beneficial and helped reinforce the necessity for each step to form a sound conclusion. Thank you!
- The instructor was clear and concise. She presented good information for the beginning genealogist who has the goal of becoming certified. The handout was a nice supplement to the talk.
- This was a fantastic webinar! Thank you so much! And thank you so much for having another evening webinar! I get so much out of them when I can be completely attentive when I'm at home. Thanks! :)
- This was a great webinar. As I started genealogy late (mid 60s) I won't be pursuing certification, but this webinar showed me how to use their research tips and techniques for my research. Since I wasn't going to be certified, I haven't used their website much. Now I know I will be looking at it more often.
- This was my first BCG webinar and I am thrilled with it! Well presented with truly useful, and usable information that has been a pleasure to listen to. Exceedingly well done!
- Very well organized and informative. Well-moderated. I learned a lot
- Wonderful presentation...a great reminder of the depth, the importance, and the uses of the GPS!!
About the author:
Shellee Morehead has a Ph.D. in evolutionary ecology and is an adjunct instructor of Biology at NEIT. She became a Certified Genealogist in 2012, and researches, writes and lectures on family history. Her most recent article is "Thomas Hamilton -- Progenitor of a Colonial American Family: His Ulster Origins revealed using DNA" which appeared in the Directory of Irish Family History Research. Recent speaking events include NGS 2016, The Genealogy Event in New York, the Ukrainian Historical and Education Center in New Jersey, and NERGC 2015 in Providence. She was one of the program Tri-Chairs for NERGC 2015. In 2010, she appeared in an episode of Danish Television’s “Who Do You Think You Are?” Her specialties include Rhode Island, Italian, and French-Canadian research and genetic genealogy. She is an active member of the Rhode Island Genealogical Society, American-French Genealogical Society, the Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG), a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) New England Chapter. She is currently Treasurer for the Federation of Genealogical Societies.