Digital Images: Scanning, Editing and Preserving Your Photos
Learn how to correctly digitize your documents and photos, which resolution (dpi) to choose, which file types are the best (.jpg, .tif, etc.), and how to fix, repair, or enhance your digital image collections.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on June 27, 2012. 1 hour 47 minutes, plus 11 pages of handouts.
Also sold separately
Organizing and Sharing Digital Images
Learn how to organize and share your digital images. If you are unable to quickly locate any digital image or document, you need the techniques that Legacy Family Tree's Geoff Rasmussen will teach in this webinar. You will learn how Google's Picasa and Adobe's Photoshop Elements can help you sort, tag, and quickly locate your pictures. You will also learn how to securely access your photos in the "cloud" (from any internet-connected computer) and share them with others. Finally, Geoff will give suggestions on how to organize your digitized genealogy documents (wills, census, etc.) and add them to your Legacy Family Tree file.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on February 29, 2012. 1 hour 44 minutes. Plus 5 pages of handouts.
Also sold separately
About the author:
- He answered some very basic questions that I have had for years about how to scan, at what resolution, how to save, what file format, etc. Thank you, again, for helping us in all our areas of genealogy - not just Legacy software!!! Y'all are awesome!!!
- As usual, I wish I had known all this earlier! Love your "how to" webinars!
- Definitely worth the wait!!! Thank you so much for all your time and effort to share your knowledge with us. I appreciate it more than words can say. My pictures of both past and present generations are among my dearest treasures. I have worried about the responsibility of preserving them for future generations until today. You gave me the information and inspiration necessary to pass them digitally to descendants who will hopefully treasure them as much as I do. Thank you very much Geoff.
- Excellent webinar, I learned a lot and my husband even learned a few things too.
- Excellent! Thank you for showing us how to do the things that genealogists care about. I will watch this repeatedly, I'm sure.
- Geoff is my hero! Wish I knew a fraction of what he knows AND he's a great teacher: clear, knowledgeable, concise, precise illustrations of his points, and tons of fun!
- Geoff makes the topics clear and understandable, which is important to beginners like me. His ability to combine the technical with the understandable gives the information without losing me in argot/jargon. Well done and thank you.
- I appreciated the way you demonstrated the results of different editing options on your photos. The explanations of the "language of digital images" was great--especially for those of us who could be your great-grandmother! Happy genealogy day!!
- I have been to intimidated to try digitizing, but now it seems fairly easy.
- I've been using Photoshop for years and you pointed out things I have never used...thanks so much, Geoff...really well done.
- Lots of good information presented very well. spent time up front on the basics which are absolutely critical to the process. If you don't get those right, you will waste time down the road and probably lose the ability to preserve many images and pass them on to others. I applaud you for emphasizing those principles - they may be boring to some, but.........
- Oh my goodness, this webinar MUST be a fan-favourite. I think this webinar could be offered every week and still draw 1,000 attendees.
- Oh my! This was extremely helpful! I have lots to learn about organizing and editing my photographs, but this was a giant step in the right direction.
- Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge. It's always a pleasure to be with you, and your 'thinking-out-loud' adds drama to the proceedings. An excellent session, very user friendly.
- This was the BEST of all of the webinars I've attended. Geoff covered a LOT of material in a relatively short amount of time, and yet was very thorough and gave websites for us to follow up with. Very pleased with this one!
- Very informative and practical. This is an subject I already know a lot about, but I learned much more from Geoff's webinar.
- You make editing pictures look easy! Gives me hope that maybe I will be able to clean up my picture files soon!
- As we have now come to expect, Geoff does an EXCELLENT job with taking complex and confusing subjects and presenting them to a large audience. Great job, Geoff!
- Enjoyed having Geoff share the photo organization from his own computer.
- Excellent. While I'm part way there to better organization, several ideas were presented to improve my overall organization. I also enjoyed the information on Picassa and Dropbox.
- Fabulous! The hands-on demonstration of PE and Picasa really helped. I liked the idea of using them both for their strengths. Your strategy seems very workable. Good combination of slides and live demonstration.
- The tagging section of Elements was very valuable. Also the combinational use of Elements and Picasa was very informative. I just started with Elements which is very rich in feathers and this broadcast has answered some of the unknowns and areas which did not come to mind intuitively. Thank You
- This is the first webinar I have attended and found it exceeded my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Many things were cleared up for rme re organizing my pictures.
- This webinar was a 10. I've hesitated to "organize" my pictures - now I can see I'd better get started. It was the best instruction I've had - on where to put files and how to organize them.
- Very informative! Great teacher! Taught with humor & knowledge!
- Your webinars are my favourites because you always show what you are talking about. I have worked with Photoshop for years but not for organisng. I've been frustrated with the labourious task of finding unnamed photos in folders so what you showed tonight is exactly what I needed to know. You had so many fabulous little tricks and shortcuts. Loved the creative lead-in with the engagement photo. You both haven't changed a bit!
Geoffrey D. Rasmussen is the father of four budding genealogists. He graduated with a degree in Genealogy and Family History from Brigham Young University and has served as director and vice-president of the Utah Genealogical Association. He is a dynamic genealogy speaker on all forms of genealogy technology, and as host of the Legacy Family Tree webinar series, has spoken virtually to nearly 100 different countries. He recently received the Distinguished Presenter Award at the prestigious RootsTech conference in Salt Lake City (2011). He has authored books, videos, articles, and websites, and develops the Legacy Family Tree software program. On a personal note, Geoff enjoys playing the piano, organ, cello and basketball. His favorite places are cemeteries, the ocean, and hanging out with other genealogists. He met and proposed to his wife in a Family History Center.
Geoff is the author of: