Land given as a “Bounty” for military service has been an American tradition from the Colonial Era up to the Civil War when the practice saw its ultimate discontinuance. The Spanish-American and Mexican-American Wars and the battle waged by the veterans for their bounty land tell the story of a nation and a military in transition. Lucky for us genealogists, there is a “bounty” of both military pension and land-purchase records left behind to tell the story both nationally and personally.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on August 10, 2016. 1 hour 28 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Absolutely awesome webinar and presenter.
- Absolutely wonderful! Fun and full of great information!
- Another AWESOME webinar - very meaningful - and will be very useful!!! Really enjoy the live immediate usage of presentation concepts and tools!!! THANKS TO ALL!!!
- Beth really laid it out in an understandable and concise manner! I'm ready to research:-)
- Beth was great! Gave new information I hadn't heard previously. Thank you, Beth and Geoff!
- Beth was terrific. She clearly explained the types of records, where to find them, and how to use them in conjunction with other records. Thanks so much.
- Excellent presentation! This was the first webinar by Beth that I have attended. I will be looking at her other webinars in the Legacy library. Thanks again for a pleasurable and informative webinar.
- Excellent Webinar. No sleep tonight too much to look at. Thanks so much Beth and Geoff for one of the best webinars ever
- Excellent, well organized and presented webinar.
- Fantastically informative and well-organized!
- Good history background. Even though I am a history teacher, I would give her an A for brevity and clarity. Good information. Thanks
- great examples and full of knowledge. Love the discussion of different war periods and then the different laws passed for the veterans.
- Great examples of how to use BLM website and others. Fun to watch Geoff live discovering new things.
- Great job! The overview of all the acts & the process was very helpful & it was fun watching Geoff search for his ancestor's records.
- Great presentation and as always I love seeing Geoff's journey.
- Great Webinar - tons of info that can be utilized immediately and having Geoff's experience brought it into real time.
- Great webinar and very informative! I hope now to find more on ancestors as it was more difficult years ago. Thanks :)
- Great webinar. I was aware of the bounty and land documents, but this gave me more information to find. Thank so much
- I couldn't believe the hour went so fast! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful knowledge in this area!!
- I have done a lot of land record search for my ancestors and thought I knew the basics. Now I realize I was searching blind because I learned so much from this presentation
- I just enjoy the history lessons with the research tips. Thanks Great watch Geoff live too...
- I knew a little about bounty land records but Beth's information kicks my knowledge up a lot. Great handout that will make an excellent reference tool.
- I really enjoy Beth's presentations. She not only knows whereof she speaks but she presents in such an engaging style the time just flys.
- I've watched many webinars about bounty lands etc and each time learn something that makes me understand better. Beth's clear layout of process is outstanding. This syllabus will be going into my at-hand binder. Great job.
- Kudos!!! She did a good job tonight!!! :-)
- Learned a lot. Thanks for the history of bounty land records, details on what's available and steps to get them. Excellent webinar.
- One of the best presentations anywhere I've ever seen.
- Outstanding webinar. Learned a lot. Now for late night genealogy.
- Really excellent- always need more info about land and deeds. Thanks to Beth, Geoff, and Legacy!
- Simply Outstanding!!!
- So much excellent information. I've looked at the BLM-GLO records but wasn't aware of the letter designation next to the person's name. Thank you so much for the excellent webinars!
- Superb webinar and syllabus! Thanks so much!
- That was FASCINATING! I learned so much! Thank you Beth and thank you Geoff! I love these webinars! And I love that you have some of them in the evening!!! (Evenings and weekends are best for me!) Great night! Thanks, again! :)
- Very exciting to find out what the records contain and how to find them. Thank you so much!
- Very informative, well structured and provided many resource links and examples. I feel invigorated! Will look for more of Beth's webinars in the future. Thank you for providing!!
- Very interesting! Learned a lot of new information and methods of research today. : ) Presenter very good and organized.
- Very knowledgable speaker and I love the interaction at the end with Geoff!
- What a fun way to learn something new.
About the author:
Beth Foulk discovered her love of genealogy through her father, who built a 115-name family tree with every family member’s name he knew. While Beth continues to research her family, she shares her knowledge through lectures, articles, her blog, and one-on-one assistance. She particularly enjoys speaking at regional conferences. Her focus is Early American Genealogy.