Let's just admit it - we all have them! So, let's use the records they created to our benefit - and what wonderful records they left. We will discuss defining your story, developing a research plan to prove it, and identifying resources. We will travel through the world of court records, records of the insane, prison records, and more.
This was presented live at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and sponsored by the Board for Certification of Genealogists on October 7, 2016. 53 minutes. For more information about the Board for Certification of Genealogists and genealogy standards, visit www.bcgcertification.org.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- A lot of good resources to research "blacksheep" that I never considered. Thank youl
- Ann has given me lots of areas to check that I'm sure will help further my research!
- Ann Staley's presentation on Black Sheep Ancestors and Their Records was excellent and highly entertaining!
- Another fabulously informative and entertaining webinar
- bibliography of unusual sources will be very helpful.
- Entertaining at least. Don't know if we have any "black sheep", but we will definitely keep this in mind.
- Excellent handout to go along with an outstanding presentation! Thank you
- Excellent sources - way beyond the imagination
- fascinating and funny.
- Great ending which goes to prove her assertion that stories do have a grain of truth.
- Great webinar! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!
- I had never heard this speaker before. I was very impressed and found so many new resources to explore. Wonderful!
- I have some new ideas to research my GG who is my black sheep. Thank you!
- I like all the new sources and explanations of how to navigate the National Archives for lesser known records.
- I never knew that there were so many 'interesting' sites on the Web!
- Interesting, excellent links, amusing. I enjoyed this one as well.
- Lots of resources that I never would have thought of looking at. Story at end is great!
- Love it; thank you SO much for making these available online for those of us who can't make it to SLC! What an incredibly valuable service you have performed for us!
- Many new sources heretofore unknown to me. Could be fun even if you don't have ancestors mentioned.
- Not only edifying but entertaining. I may now be able to find my ggfather who was considered a drunk and more and just 'disappeared' from our family.
- OMG. This whole day is so awesome! I now have many, many more places where I can look. Thank you for the ideas!
- So many resources and links! Thank you for some wonderful webinars, including this one, Blacksheep Ancestors. And thank you for the handouts with all the sources and links for us.
- This may help find information on what my "horse thief/seller of liquor to Indians" great-grandfather actually did. Thank you.
- This webinar shows I am just scratching the surface.
- Very good information--so much availabe would never have known it if not for these webinars!!!!
- What a great day. Thank you for making these webinars available!
- Wonderful webinar! Thanks! :)
About the author:
Ann Staley is an instructor, consultant, trip leader and a lecturer at local, state and national conferences. Raised in Mobile, AL, Ann has been researching her family since 1980 from Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia to France, England, and Germany. She is the Education Chairman and Webmaster for the Jacksonville Genealogical Society, Inc.; the Secretary of the Genealogical Speakers Guild; a trustee of the Florida State Genealogical Society; on the faculty of The National Institute for Genealogical Studies; and has been an associate of the Board for Certification of Genealogists since 2000.