Curious about your Polish roots but don't know where to begin? We will explore document sources in the US to help find your ancestral birthplace then we will take you across the ocean to search in the of archives of Poland, and much more.
This was presented to a live webinar audience on September 28, 2016. 1 hour 30 minutes, plus 4 pages of handouts.
The recording is also included as part of the monthly or annual membership.
- Prof. Jonathan Shea was amazing! Thank you so much!
- Challenging but certainly very informative.
- Comprehensive information well presented.
- Excellent presentation, very authoritative, good list of sources.
- Excellent starter course in Polish records.
- Excellent! Some of my ancestors lived in Pommern and that area is now in Poland. Jonathan gave me some ideas of where I can find more information.
- Extremely good information to know when you are working with others who's ancestors are from this area. Good to know the history.
- Gave me inspiration to keep going, to find my husbands family!
- Good overview of Polish Research. Lots more to know...
- Great presentation for a difficult area of the world to research.
- Great presentation. I love listening to Lisa and Jonathan speak. This is super for m y Polish research.
- Great webinar on Polish research.
- He's an encyclopedia! I'm just happy that I haven't found any Polish ancestors (not yet at least), researching them would be an obstacle course!
- I am just beginning in Poland. This webinar prepared me for some difficulties, therefore avoiding those "Really??, I can't do this" evenings.
- I enjoyed it very much, learned some valuable information, and look forward to finding more of my ancestors. Many thanks!
- I have not researched in this area but my husband has grandparents from there and it was good to hear about all the boundary changes. Also the information about the name changes was helpful.
- I have taken a multitude of courses on researching my Polish ancestors. You filled in many of the blanks I continue to have and I really appreciated the pace of the presentation as I will now go back & work through it again. Thank you so much for such an excellent presentation.
- I really got a lot of information out of Jonathan's webinar. My paternal ancestors were from West Prussia, and I can't wait to research further using all his tips. Will probably buy his book, "Going Home".
- I recently found out that husband's great grandparents came from Polish/Czech/Austria (found each on a different source) so, this webinar gave me a good insight as to what to expect and where and how to look for info. Best info for me was the map changes. Thank you.
- It was great. I hope Jonathan Shea comes back again !
- It was so helpful to know the history and division of Poland. This will help me a lot when I help others with their Polish Research at our local Family History Center. Very knowledgeable presenter!!!
- Many things covered I would never have known and now I understand searching much better.
- Mind blowing webinar. Had no idea there was a single person that knew all the geographical and language changes in the area we call Poland.
- My "Polish" ancestor is a Jew born in the late 1800s. It helped me immensely to get a feel for how to go about tracing him to his village. Hearing Mr. Shea pronounce Polish terminology helped out as well, as I'm now sure that my ancestor's ship list contains phonetic spellings.
- Thank you. I've wanted to learn about polish genealogy for a long time and what I learned in this webinar was very helpful
- Very difficult subject, considering the history of Poland, but Jonathan made it understandable.
- Very enjoyable with a wealth of information presented. I couldn't absorb it all at first sitting, and I look forward to reviewing the recorded version of this webinar.
- Very Informative. I did not know the history of all the changes that Poland has gone through. This webinar helped to understand how these changes it in with where documents were stored and what language they were written in. This helped me with my plan of finding documents for my G-Grandparents.
- Very informative. Professor Shea is the most knowledgeable expert on Polish Genealogy.
- WOW This speaker provides a wealth of information.
About the author:
Professor Jonathan D. Shea, AG is a professional genealogist, author, lecturer, foreign language educator and archivist. He is the founding President of the Polish Genealogical Society of Connecticut and the Northeast, Inc.