Geoff’s at it again – he recently discovered an obituary which appears to be the key to unlocking the mystery of one of his ancestral families. In fact, he believes he will finally crack the case of what happened to three of Martin Brown’s daughters (female ancestors – so hard to track sometimes aren’t they!). He’s going to wait and take the next step in front of a live webinar audience.
You are invited to watch as he first demonstrates how to scan the obituary, shows where to save the digital image on his hard drive, sets up the source clipboard, and evaluates and adds the new information to his real, personal Legacy family file. He will next come up with his research plan, add it to Legacy’s To Do List, and begin the unscripted, unrehearsed research – live! You will probably also learn about census searching techniques (and its data entry), searching the Social Security Death Index and other online databases and much more. With this kind of instruction, you will get a peek inside the mind of a professional researcher that may give you some new ideas or solidify the research techniques you have developed.
This class was presented to a live webinar (online seminar) audience on August 17, 2012. 1 hour 33 minutes, plus 6 pages of handouts.
About the author:
- Absolutely fabulous. Learned lots (again) and it was exciting to watch Geoff make some new additions to his tree.
- Amazing what you can get from an obit. and where you can start searching from just one name!
- As usual, he was great! I now have many more research tasks to complete.
- Delightful! It was more important to see Geoff's research process and how he works with the Legacy program than to just go through the obituary. Much more real and informative following each piece information. Thank you!
- Enjoyed the "piece by piece" conclusions, BUT also enjoyed how it was done w/Legacy Family Tree better!!
- Excellent... It always amazes me how much time I can spend on a valuable source! Glad to see it's not just me... & I always source...Your ideas have been extremely helpful.
- Geoff - It's so helpful to see you using the Legacy program. I learn a lot every time you have one of your sessions, please continue! I think I'm finally getting it on how to set up and use the source board. And you are so personable and friendly, makes it fun to listen!
- Geoff gets so excided. It is really contagious. This inspires me to get cracking on entering my found information. Thanks Geoff.
- Geoff, your webinars are always educational and informative. I enjoy Legacy and the support given to its customers better than any other I've tried! Thank you for this live webinar, it's nice to know, after watching you today, that I am doing things correctly in the software! And, most of all, I always learn new tips from every CD, or webinar.
- Geoffs enthusiasm for genealogy is infectious - if you haven't already got the bug you sure will have after a webinar with Geoff! Well done and thank for yet another interesting show!
- Good tips for making the best use of Legacy Family Tree software. I also liked the tip about adding the source citation to the .jpg file.
- Great ideas for using Legacy feataures and always an excellent refresher to watch source citations being done!!
- I can't believe how much I learned from this. SO EXCITED to do data entry now!
- I have not used the legacy software yet but I learned so much just from watching how Geoff did his research, used citations and created his to do list. Well worth the time spent.
- I learned so much today! I've never used the Source Clipboard in that way and it makes so much sense to apply the info you get from a source all at once, rather than re-searching info from different sources. Geoff is always entertaining and informative.
- I love to see a live demonstration - going through the steps, when you say what you are thinking, etc. I'll definitely have to watch this again when I can pause at some places, since I'm a "newbie" at using Legacy's software. Thanks
- I'm a novice user of Legacy Family Tree and I found today's webinar extremely useful. I loved seeing the entire research process from begining to end. Thank you. I look forward to more of Geoff - Live webinars!
- This LIVE series is most instructful - there are tips on how to use the computer, eg. alt-Tab, which are very helpful.
- Learned more about research sites and how to use Legacy than any other I have seen. Thanks so much.
- Loved it! I liked the process of what I SHOULD be doing all the time. ie source citations, to do lists, switch to Research Guidance, and switch to all of the associated content that are determined by this new information found.
- So great being able to watch Geoff go through the actual process of researching and adding new information into Legacy! Just what I needed.
- So much fun! If I weren't already addicted to genealogy, I would be after Geoff's presentation today!
- This was an exciting webinar and fun to watch. I learned ways to use the Todo list and when. Something I wasn't good at but will now be fantastic at! I am an advanced researcher. It was sure fun to find his family members!!
- This was one of the best. It was really great to see how someone does genealogy on the fly. He is so organized and keeps it organized and doesn't get flustered when presented with lots of information and many directions to go. He stays on track and teaches us to stay that way also.
- Was great to see a master at work. I do genealogy piecemeal and don't do all the source citations but I see its usefulness. Also, like the way he documented the data from the census. I'm hoping to find more on my ancestors using the websites he mentioned. Thanks!!
- The Watch Geoff Live webinars are like having a one-on-one consultation with Geoff. They always help me learn how to research and use the Legacy Family Tree software better.
- WOW!! You gave me so many more ideas on my research. I always learn so much when watching your webinars. Great job.
Geoffrey D. Rasmussen is the father of four budding genealogists. He graduated with a degree in Genealogy and Family History from Brigham Young University and has served as director and vice-president of the Utah Genealogical Association. He is a dynamic genealogy speaker on all forms of genealogy technology, and as host of the Legacy Family Tree webinar series, has spoken virtually to nearly 100 different countries. He recently received the Distinguished Presenter Award at the prestigious RootsTech conference in Salt Lake City (2011). He has authored books, videos, articles, and websites, and develops the Legacy Family Tree software program. On a personal note, Geoff enjoys playing the piano, organ, cello and basketball. His favorite places are cemeteries, the ocean, and hanging out with other genealogists. He met and proposed to his wife in a Family History Center.
Geoff is the author of: